MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Have to agree with the positive comments about Norwood. He’s had no preseason but tonight it looked like he was getting more up to speed. 

Garner hasn’t had a pre- season. Yet looks lively and at it all the time. 

Mikey and Garner didn’t get great service last season, but forged a good partnership and scored goals. 

The excuses for him need to stop.

He’s the top earner for a reason. 

If he’s played well tonight, great. Let’s see that every week please. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Mikey and Garner didn’t get great service last season, but forged a good partnership and scored goals. 

Garner isn’t being asked to start games and play for 60-70 mins. I like Garner, he’s a real nuisance but he’s coming on with 20 mins to go against tiring defenders. 2 completely different scenarios. 

• Like 6

For me this isnt a team built for a norwood type player. Hes a six yard box tap in sort of player. Designed to be where he needs to be for the rebounds and tap ins. See his woking and altincham goals. 

We dont do enough in the 6 yard box to service him. Much of our forward play comes from deep crosses and shots outside the box. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Superb win. 

Have to go and back it up at Ebbsfleet. 

Season may well be back on. 

Season is obviously on. We are 6th and have just won 3 on the bounce. We don't  need to diminish tonight's win by saying we need to win Saturday.  Let's think about that on Saturday.  With regards to tonight, we'll done boys!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Garner isn’t being asked to start games and play for 60-70 mins. I like Garner, he’s a real nuisance but he’s coming on with 20 mins to go against tiring defenders. 2 completely different scenarios. 

Mikey had a better MPG than Nors last season. Plus Nors took pens. 

Garner and Mikey scored more goals as a partnership than Nors and Mikey have. 

I’m not for one second saying Nors shouldn’t play.

I’m just highlighting that inferior players who play in the same struggling to turning decent side as him are getting more out of their ability. 

If he matches their desire. Neither touch him as a player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philliggi said:

For me this isnt a team built for a norwood type player. Hes a six yard box tap in sort of player. Designed to be where he needs to be for the rebounds and tap ins. See his woking and altincham goals. 

We dont do enough in the 6 yard box to service him. Much of our forward play comes from deep crosses and shots outside the box. 

Aye.

That’s a fair point. 

We aren’t built a fox in the box. But equally, he’s playing in division 5, and with his touch, awareness, and vision he’s more than good enough to adapt. He’s miles quicker in his head than the vast majority of defenders in this league. 

8 minutes ago, daniel said:

The daft thing is, I think Norwood actually looks more smiley, happier to play a part in this squad than he did at times last season.  Having said that, he wasn't best pleased first half when Mickey dived in front of him and knocked one wide with him better placed.

Norwood and Garner will play a full part for us over the next 30-odd games. And if we can add Stones .... well blimey 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Since January, Norwood has been playing through, out with or recovering from injury. That’s not an excuse, it’s just a fact. At his age you don’t get over those sort of injuries or lack of pre season in a few games. 

But Mellon isn’t daft. If Norwood doesn’t contribute and Fondop and/or Garner do then Norwood won’t play.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mikey had a better MPG than Nors last season. Plus Nors took pens. 

Garner and Mikey scored more goals as a partnership than Nors and Mikey have. 

I’m not for one second saying Nors shouldn’t play.

I’m just highlighting that inferior players who play in the same struggling to turning decent side as him are getting more out of their ability. 

If he matches their desire. Neither touch him as a player. 

I see you mention this about MPG a lot, and desire etc but I just don’t see it. For me Norwood hasn’t been as good a signing as I imagined he would or should have been, and I look at his performances and cannot argue there has been lots of occasions where he has been ineffective but I’m not buying it’s down to lack of desire at all. His demeanour is a strange one at times but I attend the vast majority of games and 1 thing I will not question is Norwood’s desire and willingness to run. Being the top earner has nothing to do with anything, we offered him the wage and so it’s not his fault he earns that. He doesn’t need to run more or show more or less desire than anyone else in the squad because of his wages. 
Going back to MPG, that is a massively skewed stat which is very easy to use to suit a narrative. Fondop’s main job whilst at Latics has been on the bench and to come on and batter tiring defences, which he has largely done well, and so you should expect to MPG to be quite good scoring 10-12 a season off the bench. Fondop has looked equally as ineffective in easily and probably more games than Norwood. 
I still fully expect Fondop will be back on the bench and 4th choice striker as we head deeper in to the season. 

39 minutes ago, daniel said:

Not going against the grain at all. Spot on. Anyone saying Norwood was crap is watching with their eyes closed and basing their opinions with a minority who think he cannot be arsed and doesn’t want to be here. They’ll never give him any credit. It wasn’t a perfect performance from him but he gave the ball away as much as Fondop, who slipped in possession 3 times in the 1st half, which hasn’t once been mentioned! 

You seem guilty of the same thing when you have to highlight Fondop slipping 3 times.

I find the opposite to you-Norwood ran round like a headless chicken tonight and never had the remotest sniff of a chance at goal. Somebody posted on here that he has 4 times the talent of Fondop-well maybe he did once but now he looks the shadow of that player. As somebody else mentioned-Garner did more in 20 mins than Norwood did all game.

That is the best defence I have seen at BP for several seasons-look a real unit with or without Hobson.

Midfield still lacks physical presence for me-too small and too light.

Excellent subs by Mellon especially putting Khan out wide right to nullify their threat although Jez looked little boy lost when he came on.

A really good game and excellent atmosphere in The Rochdale Rd stand for last 20 mins.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You seem guilty of the same thing when you have to highlight Fondop slipping 3 times.

I find the opposite to you-Norwood ran round like a headless chicken tonight and never had the remotest sniff of a chance at goal. Somebody posted on here that he has 4 times the talent of Fondop-well maybe he did once but now he looks the shadow of that player. As somebody else mentioned-Garner did more in 20 mins than Norwood did all game.

That is the best defence I have seen at BP for several seasons-look a real unit with or without Hobson.

Midfield still lacks physical presence for me-too small and too light.

Excellent subs by Mellon especially putting Khan out wide right to nullify their threat although Jez looked little boy lost when he came on.

A really good game and excellent atmosphere in The Rochdale Rd stand for last 20 mins.

Go back through my posting history. Plenty of occasions where I have criticised and praised Fondop, same as I have for Norwood. 
My point was that it was mentioned multiple times that Norwood lost the ball, which I cannot argue with, however there wasn’t one mention of Fondop doing the exact same thing. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Since January, Norwood has been playing through, out with or recovering from injury. That’s not an excuse, it’s just a fact. At his age you don’t get over those sort of injuries or lack of pre season in a few games. 

That’s just not true. 

He was out for about six weeks, he was nursed back with a couple of sub appearances and then played every game until the end of the season Id say circa 10/12 matches. He didn’t score a goal from open play in that time. So unless he was starting every week with an injury (why would MM continually start an injured player?) he had more than time to find his feet. 

Garner is 3 years older and looks fit and sharp with no pre season, and had a longer and more complex injury than Norwood. 

Never has a marquee signing and proven quality player had such low expectations on him. 

You can tell we've won when people start nit-picking about individual players rather than saying they're all shite.

For what it's worth, I  think its  a squad game. On any given day some will do more than others, but it's all about the collective brothers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, daniel said:

Being the top earner has nothing to do with anything, we offered him the wage and so it’s not his fault he earns that. He doesn’t need to run more or show more or less desire than anyone else in the squad because of his wages. 

Oh does it Dan. 

Why sign any proven player then if it’s nothing to do with money?

Why not sign up and coming players and just hope they come good? 

You sign Norwood and pay him what he wants because you’re trying to guarantee (as much as you can) a certain return. The money reflects his status and ability. 

We can debate the intricacies of his performance’s all day. But for the money we pay him, his proven status, and his obvious quality his time with us has been disappointing so far. 

Let’s hope we can the best of him for the rest of this season. 

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

You can tell we've won when people start nit-picking about individual players rather than saying they're all shite.

For what it's worth, I  think its  a squad game. On any given day some will do more than others, but it's all about the collective brothers. 

I’m chatting to other fans on a forum. . 

Norwood is different from the rest.  He’s arguably our best player. He‘s our top earner. Our marquee signing. 

Saying it’s a squad game, is like saying he’s a run of mill player who will contribute at some point. He miles better than that. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I’m chatting to other fans on a forum. . 

Norwood is different from the rest.  He’s arguably our best player. He‘s our top earner. Our marquee signing. 

Saying it’s a squad game, is like saying he’s a run of mill player who will contribute at some point. He miles better than that. 

Wasn't having a pop LOF. 

I agree we should be seeing more from Norwood -  and I honestly think it will come. Well I  bloody hope so anyway.

Was flippantly noting that when we lose they are all crap, but when we win we look at the details.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

As somebody else mentioned-Garner did more in 20 mins than Norwood did all game.

I must’ve missed Garner’s two goal assists.

I want more from Norwood, but he did make an important contribution tonight.

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

We can’t rely on worldys from Fondop every week and If it wasn’t for his contribution we’d probably be in mid table!

What has happened to Norwood?…he should be looking fitter by now but looks way off the pace.

We need a Matty Palmer type to drive us forward…Conlon & Lundstram just don’t get us up the pitch enough and are so weak in possession.

A wins a win but we’ll certainly need to improve.

You mean the Fondop that is an Oldham player and currently on 5 goals!We’re doing just fine considering Fondop has carried our forward line since the start of the season whilst Norwood and Garner get fit .Midfield is fine as is the rest of the team,promotion express incoming!

Let’s just acknowledge a real graft of a performance from the team. Fighting for every ball and defending incredibly well, looking to build some momentum. 

Thought Norwood and Fondop ran themselves into the ground and covered some ground, for what it’s worth. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Works both ways Dan- some will never criticise him. He’s above it for some bizarre reason. Always some reason why he hasn’t been at his best, but it’s never about his own game. 

It’s a minority in your opinion. Yet on here tonight, a few have said he did well, a few have said he didn’t. I’d say everyone is in universal agreement on his quality. It’s very split on whether he gets the most of out of his ability for us. 

If he’s played well tonight- fair enough.  We need his quality, and long maybit continue. 

Plenty of times he’s been a passenger. 

By way of comparison. Mikey is nowhere near as good a player but has and is contributing more to the team. If Nors consistently matches Mikey’s desire we’ve got the best striker in the league. 

This 👍

Had to check it was Forest Green and not Nottingham Forest we've beaten judging by some of the reactions...

But in all seriousness it was gritty, resilient and there's a sense of togetherness building, it is never going to be pretty under Mellon but if we can find that extra quality in the final third then we could be onto something.

Just save the fistpumping for March and April...