MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

That’s just not true. 

He was out for about six weeks, he was nursed back with a couple of sub appearances and then played every game until the end of the season Id say circa 10/12 matches. He didn’t score a goal from open play in that time. So unless he was starting every week with an injury (why would MM continually start an injured player?) he had more than time to find his feet. 

Garner is 3 years older and looks fit and sharp with no pre season, and had a longer and more complex injury than Norwood. 

Never has a marquee signing and proven quality player had such low expectations on him. 

At his age it’s unlikely he’s 100% match fit after a couple of sub appearances following a leg muscle injury.

You said you didn’t watch the game, you asked for opinion on him, quite a few people said it was an improved performance from him with lots of effort (don’t think anyone has said anything more glowing than that) yet you’re arguing about his desire not being on the same level as Garner and Fondop. 

I’d like him to score a ton of goals ideally, but if he doesn’t yet plays an active part in a team that’s winning and competing at the top of the league (like he did tonight) I couldn’t give a shit how his MPG compares to other strikers. 

• Like 1

First half was a thoroughly good game and enjoyed watching what should be two sides comfortably in the top 4 by May.

Second half, thought they were by far the better side, although without forcing Hudson into any action through some woeful finishing and strong defending. Garner coming on allowed us to get some form of control over the game.

Jes was a laugh. Fondop was good once he realised he wasn't allowed to handball it, Raglan and Ogle were great. Still reckon FGR will win this division...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daniel said:

I still fully expect Fondop will be back on the bench and 4th choice striker as we head deeper in to the season. 

It's statements like this that are just bizarre. The man's never going to be able to do enough for some people, is he?

But yeah, let's STILL worry about how we need to build the team around Norwood (who gave the ball away plenty of times last night, once on the edge of his own box which could've been interesting... probably someone else's fault, though).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's statements like this that are just bizarre. The man's never going to be able to do enough for some people, is he?

But yeah, let's STILL worry about how we need to build the team around Norwood (who gave the ball away plenty of times last night, once on the edge of his own box which could've been interesting... probably someone else's fault, though).

It's quite something to expect him to be 4th choice when we currently only have 3!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

What a tool! 

Nice to know the partisan crowd did its job, fucking hell how many bad refereeing decisions have we been on the back end of this season not to mention the teams we've battered and dropped two points against?.

Suck it up buttercup and play your best eleven next time as resting your best players didn't pay off and you've only yourself to blame.

I thought they knocked it about well but they didn't have a shot on target for the last hour, five minutes of injury time was about right as well, if we were still playing now they wouldn't have scored.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I do have him right about injury time, by the way. Couldn't believe he only put 5 minutes up...

Seemed that was the only point he had re the ref and as his side hadn't had a proper shot for an hour beforehand it's a bit of a stretch to think another three of four minutes would have made a difference. Never trust a person who does an interview without looking at the camera once, very telling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GKing521 said:

He's gone about it in an odd way but do think he makes some good points in there in a long winded kind of way.

Although wouldn't go as far as he did in terms of claiming they dominated, I didn't think they were that bad and a draw wouldn't have been unjust. 

His point about the 5 minutes is totally justified. Hudson was down for 3 minutes, the subs and all our timewasting. I'd be miffed off it was the other way around (as it has been plenty of times)

Makes the point about the home fans seeing us over the line too which I think is correct and relevant. 

As far us, thought we battled superbly. Watched it at the time and watched the highlights again this morning, they did have a fair share of half chances but we saw them out. Still think we don't create that much which is a bit of a worry but hoping that'll come. The togetherness and fight of the team being the best part of tonight, hopefully it isn't a one off as after all the false dawns, it feels like we're moving forward. As said before the game, expect us to be in the mix.

2 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

He's gone about it in an odd way but do think he makes some good points in there in a long winded kind of way.

Although wouldn't go as far as he did in terms of claiming they dominated, I didn't think they were that bad and a draw wouldn't have been unjust. 

His point about the 5 minutes is totally justified. Hudson was down for 3 minutes, the subs and all our timewasting. I'd be miffed off it was the other way around (as it has been plenty of times)

Makes the point about the home fans seeing us over the line too which I think is correct and relevant. 

As far us, thought we battled superbly. Watched it at the time and watched the highlights again this morning, they did have a fair share of half chances but we saw them out. Still think we don't create that much which is a bit of a worry but hoping that'll come. The togetherness and fight of the team being the best part of tonight, hopefully it isn't a one off as after all the false dawns, it feels like we're moving forward. As said before the game, expect us to be in the mix.

We need midfield goalscorers. Fondop is almost 1 in 2 and no rational person can be unhappy with that even if he has missed a few. More contributions from elsewhere needed. But the defence looks so solid. For decades, literally, I'd have pretty much expected us to concede late on in a game like that but it never looked like happening.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Had to check it was Forest Green and not Nottingham Forest we've beaten judging by some of the reactions...

But in all seriousness it was gritty, resilient and there's a sense of togetherness building, it is never going to be pretty under Mellon but if we can find that extra quality in the final third then we could be onto something.

Just save the fistpumping for March and April...

I've never understood why some think it's OK to be so condescending to football fans who enjoy their team winning.

If you can't enjoy your football team winning matches, it's not the right hobby for you.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I've never understood why some think it's OK to be so condescending to football fans who enjoy their team winning.

If you can't enjoy your football team winning matches, it's not the right hobby for you.

I think the problem might be that if someone backs themselves into a corner then they think it's best to try to sidle out quietly 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We need midfield goalscorers. Fondop is almost 1 in 2 and no rational person can be unhappy with that even if he has missed a few. More contributions from elsewhere needed. But the defence looks so solid. For decades, literally, I'd have pretty much expected us to concede late on in a game like that but it never looked like happening.

Been saying this since the first game Dave.

We could easily have lost last night, and it's another game where we only scored a single goal in which is 9/11 now.

Defence is solid hence our ability to grind out results but a goal a game won't get us promoted end of.

Hopefully Charlsey and Kay's return from injury will add a few more goals from midfield.

Anyone got any news on when they may be back??

I missed the action again and had to check the score after the game had finished, which obviously I was delighted with. I think it was already mentioned when Mellon initially took the job that 1-0 score lines would be in the offing. It didn't happen last season but appears to the case now. Long may it continue as a win is a win, no matter the score.

Lots of wide-ranging comments on here has made for good reading. I watched the highlights and what a great assist from Norwood and fantastic finish from Mikey. FGR looked very good on the ball. I think celebrating with enthusiasm, each win as it comes, is the best way to feel and make the positivity grow.

Did someone say the next match vs Ebbsfleet is televised?

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I missed the action again and had to check the score after the game had finished, which obviously I was delighted with. I think it was already mentioned when Mellon initially took the job that 1-0 score lines would be in the offing. It didn't happen last season but appears to the case now. Long may it continue as a win is a win, no matter the score.

Lots of wide-ranging comments on here has made for good reading. I watched the highlights and what a great assist from Norwood and fantastic finish from Mikey. FGR looked very good on the ball. I think celebrating with enthusiasm, each win as it comes, is the best way to feel and make the positivity grow.

Completely disagree.

Belittling achievements by telling people that they are celebrating too much is the only way to make positivity grow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

At his age it’s unlikely he’s 100% match fit after a couple of sub appearances following a leg muscle injury.

You said you didn’t watch the game, you asked for opinion on him, quite a few people said it was an improved performance from him with lots of effort (don’t think anyone has said anything more glowing than that) yet you’re arguing about his desire not being on the same level as Garner and Fondop. 

I’d like him to score a ton of goals ideally, but if he doesn’t yet plays an active part in a team that’s winning and competing at the top of the league (like he did tonight) I couldn’t give a shit how his MPG compares to other strikers. 

You couldn’t give a shit about goals as long as he plays an active part.

Fair enough.

I’d like a lot more for our marquee signing. 

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We could easily have lost last night, and it's another game where we only scored a single goal in which is 9/11 now.

Defence is solid hence our ability to grind out results but a goal a game won't get us promoted end of.

Hopefully Charlsey and Kay's return from injury will add a few more goals from midfield.

Neither Kay nor Charley have been regular goalscorers, both around 1 in 9 during their careers, although obviously Charley made a good start with us. Same with the defenders. It's an obvious problem with no obvious solution so just as well the defence is as it is 

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Completely disagree.

Belittling achievements by telling people that they are celebrating too much is the only way to make positivity grow.

Haha, I suppose it can work both ways.

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Yeah on that Dazn thing. 17:30 Kick Off Saturday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Think they were both 2/3 weeks away around a week ago. 12th October is FA Cup Qualifying, given a good draw might be the perfect chance to reintroduce them. Also have that 'cup' game on the 1st October. Not sure if that'll be too soon for the pair but they might see half an hour.

Think Charsley will add a few once he's back. Hoping Kay & Otis can add a couple. Think Dolan will bag a few if given the minutes too. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

But in all seriousness it was gritty, resilient and there's a sense of togetherness building, it is never going to be pretty under Mellon but if we can find that extra quality in the final third then we could be onto something.

Bloody Hell. 😳😂

Is that the first tiny bit of praise for Mellon there eyrsey?