MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 28/09/24

1 minute ago, Only Blue said:

Is it me or are we actually winning more headers that lead to or we score from?

Are we a taller team or is the commitment to win our personal battles better?

We do seem to be attacking the ball a bit more bit still not scoring much from corners or free kicks.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Meaning ?

People can’t debate and want to shut down a different view, with - fold the club. 

We’re doing much better.

It’s really pleasing to see the graft, desire and intensity from the vast majority. 

We can still improve. . which I’m sure we will, it’s just discussing where that improvement will come from. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

People can’t debate and want to shut down a different view, with - fold the club. 

We’re doing much better.

It’s really pleasing to see the graft, desire and intensity from the vast majority. 

We can still improve. . which I’m sure we will, it’s just discussing where that improvement will come from. 

Are you referring to the team or the fans forum comments?  :)

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you think your best player not celebrating with his team mates is good for team morale? 

Do you think in any team, that If someone isolates themselves- they endear themselves? 

Mellon said several games ago at Alty that Norwood didn’t want to come off. He’s fit. 

He didn’t fancy Garner & Mikey last season, he played them because

Nors was injured. He got fit, and he came straight back in. 

In my view - he’s a conundrum. Logic says he must play. But for a number of reasons it’s not going for him. 

Would you play him no matter what? 

I don’t know how Norwood affects team morale. The rest of the players will judge that based on a lot more than just what he does after goals. If it is a problem I expect Mellon to sort it. 

As for whether he should start I have no strong opinion on that now. I think we have a squad that means we can play different combinations and different formations. Mellon is showing so far that he’s capable of making the right choices and winning games. So while that’s happening I don’t care who plays or how we line up!

My issue is what most people would highlight - the lack of chances being created at the moment. But if we can be strong defensively and still keep nicking enough goals to get wins while that is worked on then I’m confident that can come good in time too. And someone will get that pasting we’re all waiting to see happen!

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

As for whether he should start I have no strong opinion on that now. I think we have a squad that means we can play different combinations and different formations. Mellon is showing so far that he’s capable of making the right choices and winning games. So while that’s happening I don’t care who plays or how we line up!

Yeah, that’s where I am. 

I think I need to get over my expectations of him, and just see him as a squad player. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’re doing much better.

We've won 4 on the bounce

Let People Enjoy Things Letnpeople Meme - Let people enjoy things Enjoy  things Let people - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 4

Just now, League one forever said:

Yeah, that’s where I am. 

I think I need to get over my expectations of him, and just see him as a squad player. 

I think the issue is he has the potential to score a load. And if we’re doing badly then if he isn’t it becomes a huge problem. Now we’re doing well it’s not! If he clicks and I hope he does then happy days, if he doesn’t it doesn’t look like it’s the end of the world. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

He did 

16 hours ago, astottie said:

He didn't. He wanted to and was told no.

Correct. He gestured to his bench who instructed him to stay back.

15 hours ago, GKing521 said:

I got my posts wrong today. It may be time to start having just a bit more faith in what's transpiring atm. Still, need to be more clinical. 

Fair play for detecting your own outrageous pessimism. Must have taken a lot of bollocks to hold your hands up. It’ll all be taken away if you revert to type at the first sign of us losing a game. Enjoy the ride of the season, man.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

One thing that's glaringly obvious is Norwood's complete lack of any celebration when somebody else scores !

Strange.

I suspect he’s doing this on purpose now. Possibly to highlight how ridiculous our fans are sounding when they’re obsessed about his body language! His off the ball movement is all nuanced and about subtleties. We just don’t have players in the right situations to be able to chime into that frequently. He’ll get his purple patch this season I feel.

Onto the match, we’re seeing this regular from lower sides in the division. Low block, congest the forward areas. You see the likes of Lichtenstein and San Marino employing these types of formations every time. It’s the only hope they have of picking up a result. It’s supremely telling to see them use it more often against us now.

I just think we need to shoot more when in and around the edge of the box. We tried it once last night where it took a deflection and the keeper scrambled it away. Make it pinball in the box and you’ll often get one pinging in or deflected to one of ours to put away.

to contribute our solid defence I think Conlon has been getting better and better. Our possession and holding of the ball is dictated by him. Lundstram’s growing in confidence with those penetrating runs he likes to do too, he just needs to find the right pass which he’ll get better at doing. The calibre we’ve got to interchange is the biggest improvement this term. MM was backed into a corner last season and had to rely on a select small group he trusted to try and make us more solid, at the behest of any creativity. Far more options this time, to help him find the formula. Also helps keep the opposition on their toes not knowing exactly who they’ll be up against. A strong advantage to me.

Finally, how amateurish is that DAZN coverage? They literally have zero insight, no presenter and the huge accidental Partridge moment of insisting Khan, a practicing Muslim, go and enjoy a nice beverage (“It’ll just be water for me” response: “Ahh, a true professional!”) was chefs kiss. Huge downgrade on the TNT offering imo. You get better on those fan vlog things.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
Fat phone fingers. Supported Mansun at Manchester Ritz in 1997.
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Andy-latic said:

Completely agree with this, I really can’t understand people’s reactions to this one, we completely dominated 85 minutes off that game. Yes Ebsfleet were crap, but you still have to turn up and we won all the battles, pressed well, dominated possession, defence and centre mids were immense.

Tom conlon’s first touch was ridiculously good…. So many positives from the game, we need to create more but that will come.

You compare our performance in the game yesterday to that drab 0-0 at their place last year and there’s just no comparison, we’re in a really good place and it’s time to get excited!! (I certainly am) We could be looking a first chance of promotion in a generation 

Agree re Conlon. Seeing a lot of people being positive re Lundstram and, fair enough he's improved and was well involved, but I saw no signs of a proper football brain there. Makes the wrong decision so many times when there's a choice 

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Their keeper only made one save and that was from a deflection 

Depends how you define "ugly" I suppose.  

I'd say an "ugly" win is the type we got under Unsworth where basically we play badly, the opposition miss loads of chances yet by some fortune, we come away with a win.  It doesn't look like that happened yesterday - we outplayed them and if the only complaint is we didn't work the 'keeper enough I don't think that's an "ugly" win...

There might be more to come from this squad, but it works the other way too and I think we can win uglier...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Finally, how amateurish is that DAZN coverage? They literally have zero insight, no presenter and the huge accidental Partridge moment of insisting Khan, a practicing Muslim, go and enjoy a nice beverage (“It’ll just be water for me” response: “Ahh, a true professional!”) was chefs kiss.

😂

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Depends how you define "ugly" I suppose.  

I'd say an "ugly" win is the type we got under Unsworth where basically we play badly, the opposition miss loads of chances yet by some fortune, we come away with a win.  It doesn't look like that happened yesterday - we outplayed them and if the only complaint is we didn't work the 'keeper enough I don't think that's an "ugly" win...

There might be more to come from this squad, but it works the other way too and I think we can win uglier...

No way was last night ugly. It was routine. Ugly was the 1-0 at Stockport under Penney or 1-0 at Chesterfield under DU. Where you stink the place out and sneak away with three massively undeserved points.

They’ll be telling us hallowed turf is just a nice pitch, next. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

His off the ball movement is all nuanced and about subtleties. We just don’t have players in the right situations to be able to chime into that frequently.

😂😂

He’s not the Scarlett pimpernel.

Hiding and waiting to such an extent, that the others just aren’t on his frequency. Two players didn’t pass to him from 15 yards- maybe that just shit play on their part. But it certainly wasn’t the nuance of the run. The second one, he’s stood still. 😂

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Possibly to highlight how ridiculous our fans are sounding when they’re obsessed about his body language!

This is just as exaggerated as the claims you make. I don’t care if he smiles, I don’t care if he walks around and then runs in little bursts. I don’t care about his social media. I don’t care if he’s a nice bloke. 

I just want him to help/support his teammates on the pitch and do his Job, which for a plethora of reasons isn’t working at the minute. I’d suggest one or two more games on the bench, he seems to play better when he’s angry. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

He’s not the Scarlett pimpernel.

Hiding and waiting to such an extent, that the others just aren’t on his frequency. Two players didn’t pass to him from 15 yards- maybe that just shit play on their part. But it certainly wasn’t the nuance of the run. The second one, he’s stood still. 😂

Eh? What do you want him to do, point at the ground where he wants it?

Of course it was bad play. You’re literally desperate to see him visibly displaying some sort of perceived happiness. The body language from Fondop towards him after the FGR goal showed everything you needed to know about his standing within the team.

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You’re literally desperate to see him visibly displaying some sort of perceived happiness.

😂😂😂

Yeah, gagging. 

If you’re highest paid player offering very little in games is enough for you, then happy days. 

But yesterday was his first start on the bench when fit. So it appears MM agrees with me. Unless he benched him for not kissing everybody the warm up. Who knows. 

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Their keeper only made one save and that was from a deflection 

That’s a pretty ridiculous statistic isn’t it?

Because of the 5.30 KO I watched snippets of the NL games and teams in general are much more clinical and creative than we are…

Apart from our second goal where Conlon threaded the ball through to Uchegbulam I can’t remember us making too many other, if any, incisive passes, throughout what was a completely dominant display.

We have to be more confident going forward with the ball and find the correct midfield/forward combo because we won’t always get away with it against the better teams in this division.

The football is somewhat attritional and won't get the fans flocking back but huge credit for finding a way to win recently whilst not firing on all cylinders.

For me, replace our 70 year old striking duo and upgrade on Lundstram and we'd comfortably win the title PROVIDING our defensive unit stayed fit and well.