MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 28/09/24

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The guesswork is what that stuff means - ie the suggestion that his teammates are deliberately not passing to him. It’s not like they’re making incisive passes to other players is it? We have a slight final ball issue in general. 

Him being on the bench could have been either part of his recovery from injury or that Mellon fancied Garner and Fondop against that defence? That’s more likely to be the reason than Norwood’s attitude. 

Is everyone forgetting he's part of our winning team?Either starting or as a sub.Christ leave the man alone. I hope doesn't read all the shite thats coming out on here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, diggleblue said:

Is everyone forgetting he's part of our winning team?Either starting or as a sub.Christ leave the man alone. I hope doesn't read all the shite thats coming out on here.

The thought that Norwood would be bothered about what people post on here is hilarious ! 😆

• Like 4

We really don't know how to enjoy ourselves after a win do we?

I know it's because we aren't used to it but let's not negatively nit-pick at every perceived slight or bad play but praise Conlon's positioning and pass to Jess , his nice little wiggle and pass to pick out Khan followed by a neat finish, with the players leaving him to celebrate with the fans so he could get all the plaudits and choosing to applaud from afar.

Norwood too overcome with emotion had to turn away lest he shed a joyous tear in public.

There, that's how you do it :)

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

We really don't know how to enjoy ourselves after a win do we?

I do. I did little dance (much to bafflement of my Mrs) when I saw we had got a winner.

You also don’t know the restraint it’s taking me to not belt out EIEIEIO. . 😁

It is possible to be chuffed with how it’s going overall, and want to debate Perceived weak spots/areas. Otherwise what’s the point of the forum? 

Win. Nice one. 

Talk next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spanishfly said:

The football is somewhat attritional and won't get the fans flocking back but huge credit for finding a way to win recently whilst not firing on all cylinders.

For me, replace our 70 year old striking duo and upgrade on Lundstram and we'd comfortably win the title PROVIDING our defensive unit stayed fit and well.

Very bizarre take this. I feel we are playing our best football in some time. 

players like to get forward and we are very expansive with Monthe Ogle forward 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I do. I did little dance (much to bafflement of my Mrs) when I saw we had got a winner.

You also don’t know the restraint it’s taking me to not belt out EIEIEIO. . 😁

It is possible to be chuffed with how it’s going overall, and want to debate Perceived weak spots/areas. Otherwise what’s the point of the forum? 

Win. Nice one. 

Talk next week. 

Yes it is possible and you are one of the posters that does that.

It's the over the top negative ones that start their posts by pointing out who is poor or rubbish rather than the players who have played well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Very bizarre take this. I feel we are playing our best football in some time. 

players like to get forward and we are very expansive with Monthe Ogle forward 

Bizarre that you find it very bizarre Brad! 😁

Couple of your comments after the game, "wins a win but made hard work" and "we created very little."

I agree with you. The opposition were atrocious. Our football is not great but, as I gave substantial credit for, we have found a way to win. I do, however, think that unless we can find our shooting boots we will come unstuck too often, over a season, against better teams. 

16 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Bizarre that you find it very bizarre Brad! 😁

Couple of your comments after the game, "wins a win but made hard work" and "we created very little."

I agree with you. The opposition were atrocious. Our football is not great but, as I gave substantial credit for, we have found a way to win. I do, however, think that unless we can find our shooting boots we will come unstuck too often, over a season, against better teams. 

I think the football we are playing is very good. I still feel we need creativity in the final third 

• Like 2

Opinions on footballing style aside, I hark back to the days when I turned up at a football match, not knowing the team which would be rolling out onto the pitch until they were announced over the..somewhat sketchy..tannoy. Yes, there would have been rumblings of "Where's whoever" or "He must be injured" or, "Good, he's shit anyway". We trusted the manager and made criticisms after the game, if it all went tits up.

The Internet and social media is a godsend for me by allowing me to know the score from afar, as it happens and to get the gist of the game from those who witnessed it. I don't think the tendency to analyse a game has changed, just the speed and methods of communicating our opinions to those outside our actual social circles.

Debate is healthy and everyone's opinion is valid, as are the counter arguments. A great result yesterday, I only saw the highlights but well done to all the lads who played and what a refreshing contrast to this point last season.

• Like 3

I know debate is healthy but sometimes I struggle to see what people want. Do we not all want to be winning games, Im fairly sure we just won four on the bounce 12 out of 12 playing what was put in front of us. As a team we more than deserved that victory we did to Ebbsfleet exactly what some teams did to us last season ... we totally dominated (sorry Steve) that game and looked comfortable. The penalty was their first effort on target, late in the game  We came out and scored a great winning goal as a tean. We plated some good footbal, we mixed ot up a little played through midfield and also went direct. Ebbsfleet Keeper pulled off 2 great stops from Jez and Conlon and Khan was unlucky not to have two. We have players coming back from injury and a couple not firing on all cyliders yet. Id much rather we grow into the season being there or there abouts and accept that Woking wont be a one off, yet I feel some confidence growing in the team without the swagger. If they beleive, who are we to not go on that journey with them. As much as Khan wasnt MOM he wasnt rubbish either, as much as Kitching will be disappointed with the penalty he will be delighted with the goal. Ride along with it and you might just enjoy it. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The Norwood stuff is just funny at this point. Criticism of his performances is completely fair but all the other stuff is just ridiculous. Including all the bullshit rumours from last season (which have mysteriously vanished). 

It’s boring at this point to be honest. Get off the lads back and support him. 

• Like 1

I find it utterly bizarre that people can’t  see or accept that Norwood’s conduct/attitude affects his game. 

They go hand in glove. 

How many players across all levels of football are scrutinised on their effort, body language, team player ethics. It’s not unusual at all and Norwood isn’t alone. The fact a lot on here don’t understand that is very strange. 

If he’s playing brilliantly he could spit on everyone’s shoes for all I care. But he’s not. 

It’s very pertinent to discuss and debate it, because while we’re doing much better overall, we still lack a cutting edge at times. He should be a massive part and it’s not working at the minute. It’s not unreasonable, boring, funny, or hilarious to ask or look at the reasons that might be. It’s just common sense. 

Maybe he’s amazing in the dressing room, loves the club dearly, and what we all watch is facade to his true feelings. 

But I see a player on the pitch, who looks irritated, disinterested, and is largely going through the motions. 

• Like 2

Re-watched the game today whilst doing some other jobs on the computer.

Ebbsfleet were poor and we made them look it - they weren't in the game at all for 80%+ and defensively we strangled them when they did look to come forward for that period of time.  We scored 2, and created another couple of good chances.  We got the ball in to good position and didn't capitalise on this on a number of other occasions, but we seemed willing to try and find a pass rather than lump it more often than I have seen us in the past few years (decades?).

It was a good away performance and we got the points that we deserved.

There is room to improve in the build-up play and final passes (Josh and Conlon seem to be getting better as the season goes on - and streets ahead of where they were last year) and I think it will come; and as stated on other posts our striking partnership(s) could be improved (again time together should do this).

Also (again someone mentioned this) the long-throws are not really that effective.  Had a good deal of them in the last 3 games and cannot remember them leading to anything of note?  Mixing them up, with the odd short one, and perhaps a bit more work on the training ground could turn them into a real weapon.

12 games in, and we look like a team in contention.  Our form in terms of mpg is good and improving.  We are not a wonderfully flowing football team at the moment that are putting teams to the sword, but I think that most fans can feel that there is potential that this team / squad to improve beyond what we are delivering at the moment.

Looking forward to Saturdays in a way I haven't for a long time...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I find it utterly bizarre that people can’t  see or accept that Norwood’s conduct/attitude affects his game. 

They go hand in glove. 

How many players across all levels of football are scrutinised on their effort, body language, team player ethics. It’s not unusual at all and Norwood isn’t alone. The fact a lot on here don’t understand that is very strange. 

If he’s playing brilliantly he could spit on everyone’s shoes for all I care. But he’s not. 

It’s very pertinent to discuss and debate it, because while we’re doing much better overall, we still lack a cutting edge at times. He should be a massive part and it’s not working at the minute. It’s not unreasonable, boring, funny, or hilarious to ask or look at the reasons that might be. It’s just common sense. 

Maybe he’s amazing in the dressing room, loves the club dearly, and what we all watch is facade to his true feelings. 

But I see a player on the pitch, who looks irritated, disinterested, and is largely going through the motions. 

I was one of the first to call out £100,000 signingo Nuttall for his body langauge and attitude and kept being told he would be worth the money. 

I am now among the first to call out Norwood and being told he will change. 

I'm afraid unless he shows more spirit in a team based on high work rate MM won't start him, with the inevitable loan move following. 

I hope he can show more resolution, but it doesn't appear to me so far. 

Having a go reportedly at Khan was all wrong IMO as Khan had done all the hard work and was only a shade off scoring himself. Doubt if he'd have passed the ball in Khan's position.  

That's my opinion anyway. Hope he proves me wrong though and it's just a fitness issue. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 3