MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 28/09/24

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I still think the best is yet to come from this team but they're very hard to beat and are now finding a way to win games, it's all extremely promising. I think the last couple of seasons have skewed people's views, we aren't going to blow teams away scoring 3 or 4 every week and  neither is any other team in the division 

In the last 8 days we've shown that we can dominate games and get late winners against mid-table sides and teams at the bottom, as well as scrapping our way to wins against challengers at the top.

It's been a while since a Latics team has been able to do both of those things.

8 hours ago, GKing521 said:

I got my posts wrong today. It may be time to start having just a bit more faith in what's transpiring atm. Still, need to be more clinical. 

There will be ups and downs, just stick with it, one things for sure we have a lot more steel than in previous seasons. I don't think anyone disagrees that we need to be more clinical in front of goal. 

I've seen a stat somewhere saying that this is the first time we've gone unbeaten in 8 games in 10 years. I can't confirm this but if true you are going to have to go back to Lee Johnsons time when the last time we produced this level of form.

We've now found a way of turning draws into wins, and yesterday for the first time we found a way to win after being pegged back from a winning position. The previous wins have all come from us being ahead in games all the way through. Good to see different scorers too the kitchen fitter has fought his way back into the team well and a goal for Ghenghis will hopefully see him settle in abit more.

It's all good stuff, still a long way to go and we will hit the odd low moment no doubt, along with plenty of highs

But the thunderbastardpromtionchasingmellonballblues are giving me an arousal at the moment

Edit: we went 11 unbeaten between 30th Aug 2014 where we won at Doncaster until the 25th of October where we beat Bradford at BP.

Edited by GlossopLatic

23 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

In the last 8 days we've shown that we can dominate games and get late winners against mid-table sides and teams at the bottom, as well as scrapping our way to wins against challengers at the top.

It's been a while since a Latics team has been able to do both of those things.

Exactly. That was very much the kind of game we struggled in last season, and as much as it's become an hilarious running joke on here probably the kind of game we could've lost. Really positive that they found a way to win after being pegged back late on too. 

I know it's not the easiest on the eye at times but they're really solid and are getting results home and away. Maybe this Mellon bloke actually knows what he's doing 

I think this is our best start (points after 12 games) for 22 years and the Dowie play off season. 

And as others have said, it looks like there should be more to come. 4 winnable games in October so will be interesting to see where we sit by the end of next month. 

Another win and on a good run now. Defence is immense with Monthe MOM of the match for me as well. Defends well and looks to press forward.  The attack is unsettled with a balance yet to be struck on a starting front two yet to be decided. This has , of course, been affected by injuries to Norwood and Garner. It will be intereting to ee how Stretton fits in. Also the midfield misses Charsley who will be straight into the line up when fit again. I thought Lundstram had a good game and Conlon was making forward passes more in this game. 

Jez did well when he came on giving Khan the assist for his goal and nearly sored hmelf but should realy have laid it off to Norwood for a tap in.

Feeling very optimistic for this season. 

Would be a bit wary of suggesting there's more to come, feels like Mellon is squeezing the pips out of it currently (in a good way) and variance generally catches up with teams that keep 'winning ugly'

Maybe Charsley and Stretton can provide the extra quality to help us start putting teams to the sword more consistently.

After years of watching Latics turn draws into losses and winning positions into draws I’m just glad to see us able to change that narrative. The current squad has got character and a real team spirit with everybody working hard on and off the ball.  I know it’s 5th tier but at last it’s not a miserable experience 😁😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Would be a bit wary of suggesting there's more to come, feels like Mellon is squeezing the pips out of it currently (in a good way) and variance generally catches up with teams that keep 'winning ugly'

Maybe Charsley and Stretton can provide the extra quality to help us start putting teams to the sword more consistently.

I think it’s that 2 strikers have been out injured, then Charsley and we were obviously looking for a loan forward. So if you’re adding those into the mix and having a settled side it feels like there should definitely be scope for more to come from an attacking sense. 

Plus the Tranmere fan’s post that said a slowish start is very common in Mellon promotion teams. 

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Was yesterday a particularly "ugly" win?

Only seen the highlights but it looked like it would have been an injustice if we hadn't come away with the three points..

Completely agree with this, I really can’t understand people’s reactions to this one, we completely dominated 85 minutes off that game. Yes Ebsfleet were crap, but you still have to turn up and we won all the battles, pressed well, dominated possession, defence and centre mids were immense.

Tom conlon’s first touch was ridiculously good…. So many positives from the game, we need to create more but that will come.

You compare our performance in the game yesterday to that drab 0-0 at their place last year and there’s just no comparison, we’re in a really good place and it’s time to get excited!! (I certainly am) We could be looking a first chance of promotion in a generation 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Khan going to get the credit for scoring but I thought he was rubbish. Barely created looked better when he’s on the wing. Took his goal well. 

8 hours ago, hollandspies said:

Manny was MOM for me with Otis, his endeavours and the winning goal a close second. 

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I personally thought Khan minus the goal was poor, Lundstrum had more desire and drive than Conlon and Khan combined and they created little. 

I thought it was a strange decision from Aaron McClean to make Khan MotM...

I don't think he was 'rubbish' @BradKnowles1 and he did improve after a poor first half but there were others more deserving of the award.

I also thought that Conlon was good and constantly involved - one of his better games for me.

One thing the match summarizer DID get right was his assessment of our overall approach as "Controlling but not creating" - we played well and dominated (!) without really troubling their keeper when we were on top.

The problem with not scoring again when on top is that the opposition are always in the game - we need to be more clinical in front of goal - maybe that will come when MM decides on his best front two.

Also we played far too many high balls (crosses, corners, long throws) into the box which their defenders  seemed to cope with well... until the first goal which was a good flick on from Mikey I suppose...

Overall it was a game that had many good signs of the progress we are making on the pitch - it also confirmed that we still have a few aspects of our play to improve.

In the end it was a deserved victory but we sometimes make it more difficult than it should be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Just arrived home, thought we absolutely dominated that game until we scored. We created very little though. I thought first half it was going to be 3 or 4. We got the goal and invited them on. 

khan going to get the credit for scoring but I thought he was rubbish. Barely created looked better when he’s on the wing. Took his goal well. 

lundstram again was very good just needs better decision making. 

couldn’t really give a MOTM but Conlon did not put a foot wrong involved in the two goals. 

Agree on both khan and conlon.

tv game khan MOM

47 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Was yesterday a particularly "ugly" win?

Only seen the highlights but it looked like it would have been an injustice if we hadn't come away with the three points..

Don’t think it was an ugly win we dominated that game and other result than a win would have been an injustice. 

we just need to create more and make the right pass 

We need to cut out the holding at set pieces could have cost us yesterday. Nearly did v Yeovil. 

32 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

I really can’t understand people’s reactions to this one, we completely dominated 85 minutes off that game. Yes Ebsfleet were crap, but you still have to turn up and we won all the battles, pressed well, dominated possession, defence and centre mids were immense.

This is true. All the ugly parts. . 

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The problem with not scoring again when on top is that the opposition are always in the game - we need to be more clinical in front of goal

But so is this. 

I know we ultimately won, and they deserve credit for showing character. But as McClean said on comms, Mellon would’ve of been livid with 1-1. It was literately their only chance. But that’s what happens if you don’t put teams away while on top. 

We did all of the ugly things well, but we lacked guile and creativity in the final third at times. 

Therefore we found a way to win ugly/not fluent. 

41 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think the back 5 and Conlon and Lundstram are settled now. It’s that top 3 we need to sort out and find our best. 

Agreed. 

Charsley walks back into the side as well. 

So that’s 8 starters. 

It whether he wants one or two up top for the final two. 

We must be careful not to make good the enemy of great here.

There is room for improvement there always is ofcourse but for the majority of games this season just being good will get us 3 points. You have to remember we were only 8-9 points of getting top 7 last season for the majority of last season we weren't that good, we got 2 more points yesterday than we did from the corresponding fixture last season.

It's become a cliche on here but if we win enough of those games we will be in contention at the end of the season not just top 7 but actually getting promotion.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Jury remains out on lundstrum.  He’s getting better. 

He does seem to be having more and more better games which is obviously a good sign. Needs to work on his decision making though, he made a brilliant run yesterday and had an easy lay off to Norwood for a 1v1 and went for the much harder one through to Fondop which was a mile off, Norwood was furious and it’s not the 1st time.  

2 minutes ago, daniel said:

He does seem to be having more and more better games which is obviously a good sign. Needs to work on his decision making though, he made a brilliant run yesterday and had an easy lay off to Norwood for a 1v1 and went for the much harder one through to Fondop which was a mile off, Norwood was furious and it’s not the 1st time.  

Yes.

people can complain all they want about our fire power up top but when that represents the quality of service then it’s clear our ‘problems’ re scoring too few goals continue to lie in the midfield. 

58 minutes ago, daniel said:

Yeah, and also the one Khan had- were he cut inside and had a shot from a tight angle. Norwood was unmarked in the middle. 

It might just be a coincidence, but I do wonder why his teammates didn’t pick him out. 

Edited by League one forever