FA Cup first round proper

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't say I know any of the background but if an owner who is local and hugely experienced in football can't make a go of it one wonders who can.

Ex lawyer of Trump wants to buy them. Who is doing a terrible job at SPAL

Generally the TV games tend to be a minnow at home v a league side; or once the PL teams join a chance for the BBC to pretend that they have the PL rights and will do an all PL tie.

If there is a derby or a  'good story' to tell that is another good pick - so perhaps the WSM/BC derby.

The fact that they can hark back to the 1990 and 1994 ties with us, the 'how far have they fallen' narrative, the fact we have a charismatic owner, and that there is a bit of history with MM and a couple of players - means I think it would be in the list but ultimately the fact the league team are at home will probably mean its not.  

As for the draw itself....I am a bit indifferent about it.

For a period when we were in the same division it did become a bit of a grudge match (cannot remember why) and I think for a generation of supporters that those days in League One are the pinnacle of your supporting lie then a chance to re-kindle that is probably attractive.  For someone my age, I still feel having a rivalry with Tranmere is beneath us and we had proper grudge games against bigger teams (Blackburn, Leeds, Burnley, City...even United).

Its a good draw if we progress IMO.

8 hours ago, petera1 said:

I lived in Heswall until recently and before that in Upton, I still work in Birko !

Nice! Where've you moved to?

We’ve just moved to Irby. 
It’s a pain to get to Boundary Park but getting Tranmere couldn’t have worked out any better. Just need to find a good pub now as I’ll be going with some Liverpool and Everton fans.

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Nice! Where've you moved to?

We’ve just moved to Irby. 
It’s a pain to get to Boundary Park but getting Tranmere couldn’t have worked out any better. Just need to find a good pub now as I’ll be going with some Liverpool and Everton fans.

If you find a decent pub let me know. Reckon I will have a few in Liverpool then get the underground last minute. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If you find a decent pub let me know. Reckon I will have a few in Liverpool then get the underground last minute. 

I usually call in at The Shrewsbury Arms, Oxton. Plenty of footie supporters in there but no idiots.

It is easier to park and a 15 min walk to the ground

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Mellon ended up back at Tranmere given the way their season is going currently.

He was sacked by Tranmere, he currently has a good job here….why on earth would he want to go back?🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures, we did enough times with Sheri...

When he was out of work. He never left a club to rejoin us. 

But if we’re just throwing things in- maybe he’ll go back as Chairman. .  leading a consortium to get rid of Palios. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

When he was out of work. He never left a club to rejoin us. 

But if we’re just throwing things in- maybe he’ll go back as Chairman. .  leading a consortium to get rid of Palios. 

He left Newport to join us in 2016...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DWShamen said:

Crap draw in my opinion.  We've played Tranmere more than enough over the past 20 years without meeting them in the cup.  Just not local enough for me to have any real enthusiasm for it.

I have bad memories of games at Preston Park,

In the early 90s I think we payed them in both cups at their place and got done 3-0 on both occasions (when we were the 'big team') - and I think we lost a few more in the League over the next few seasons.

A quick check on 11 v v11 website confirms my memories of Tranmere being a 'bogey' team:

Hadn't played them in my lifetime until we got them in the FA Cup in 1993 (previous games were in the 70s):

1993 - FAC 2-2 home draw followed by a 3-0 reply defeat

1993 - League Cup 3-0 away defeat

1994 - League 0-0 home draw

1995 - League 3-1 away defeat

1995 - League Cup (2 leg tie) 1-0 away defeat, 3-1 home defeat

1995 - League 2-0 away defeat

1996 - League 2-1 home defeat

P9 W0 D2 L6 F5 A19

I think I went to 4 of those away games and pretty much had the life drained out of me at that stadium.

Since then we have played them a fair bit and faired a bit better (hard to be worse I suppose): P38 W14 D11 L13

Definitely a team that we have struggled against in the last 30 years though.

19 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

I have bad memories of games at Preston Park,

In the early 90s I think we payed them in both cups at their place and got done 3-0 on both occasions (when we were the 'big team') - and I think we lost a few more in the League over the next few seasons.

Or even Prenton Park ?

21 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

There's not many that aren't though

True but that initial period in the 1990s scarred me I think.   We were the successful team, been in the second tier for a while, then our successful period etc and that initial run of cup and league defeats was pretty jarring.

Wonder if Ian and Ronnie Moore will go? Some of our chants against them were nasty. To Ian....your father's a bast... your mother's a whore. Terrible!.We should be ashamed and yes they used to be a boggey team for us but I think we got rid of that monkey.

Definitely think we can win.

6 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Wonder if Ian and Ronnie Moore will go? Some of our chants against them were nasty. To Ian....your father's a bast... your mother's a whore. Terrible!.We should be ashamed and yes they used to be a boggey team for us but I think we got rid of that monkey.

Definitely think we can win.

Didn't Ian Moore agree to sing or us and then walk out and go to another club?  Was that part of what drove a bit of a grudge match / rivalry?

Agree the 'bogey' team period has passed and our recent record is OK against them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

How on earth to you know these things?

It was a tap-in, that!  Even Norwood would be embarrassed to claim it..

Edited by JoeP