MATCH: Stoke U23s (H) 01/10/24 - 7pm Kick Off

The injury thing is a question of risk surely. Yes you can get injured dropping a mug on your foot, but the chances of that happening are incredibly slim. I'd guess the chances of picking up an injury in a competitive fixture where there are limited subs are a lot greater than in a behind closed doors game with no player or sub rules.

Yes, Charsley got some good game time which was probably better for him than a friendly match, but was that really worth the potential injury to Hobson? I'd argue not. Especially when it's in a competition where it doesn't matter if fans turn up or not.

If Hobson is out for a few weeks, I can't see past us having to dip into the loan market. Will the competition payments cover that cost? We play 3 at the back and would now only have Sutton as cover now Hogan has gone. 

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The injury thing is a question of risk surely. Yes you can get injured dropping a mug on your foot, but the chances of that happening are incredibly slim. I'd guess the chances of picking up an injury in a competitive fixture where there are limited subs are a lot greater than in a behind closed doors game with no player or sub rules.

Yes, Charsley got some good game time which was probably better for him than a friendly match, but was that really worth the potential injury to Hobson? I'd argue not. Especially when it's in a competition where it doesn't matter if fans turn up or not.

If Hobson is out for a few weeks, I can't see past us having to dip into the loan market. Will the competition payments cover that cost? We play 3 at the back and would now only have Sutton as cover now Hogan has gone. 

One of our players got injured in a closed doors friendly with Man U last season, so I'm not sure there's a significant difference in the risk involved.

If Hobson hadn't got injured the I think the pluses would have outweighed the minuses - a runout for all our fringe players, Stretton got a bit of rust out of his system, Charsley regained match fitness.

I understand many will see it as an ill conceived competition, worse even, but on a purely footballing basis it seemed like a useful run out in the absence of a reserve team.   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Doubt we’ll go in to the loan market unless another one gets injured. In our strongest 11 Hobson doesn’t start with Ogle on the right of the back 3 and Caprice wing back. Sutton on the bench to cover Hobson. 

29 minutes ago, daniel said:

Doubt we’ll go in to the loan market unless another one gets injured. In our strongest 11 Hobson doesn’t start with Ogle on the right of the back 3 and Caprice wing back. Sutton on the bench to cover Hobson. 

Caprice played the full game yesterday and seemed to put a decent amount of effort in. 

He isn’t young so would be careful with how much we are using him, especially with him being a wing back. 

He did play about 3 positions last night. 

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

One of our players got injured in a closed doors friendly with Man U last season, so I'm not sure there's a significant difference in the risk involved.

If Hobson hadn't got injured the I think the pluses would have outweighed the minuses - a runout for all our fringe players, Stretton got a bit of rust out of his system, Charsley regained match fitness.

I understand many will see it as an ill conceived competition, worse even, but on a purely footballing basis it seemed like a useful run out in the absence of a reserve team.   

The main difference between behind closed doors and this competition is that there would be no requirement to play Hobson in a friendly match. We had to put him and Raglan "at risk" last night and having only 5 first team CBs when we play 3 seems too risky.

The other difference being that friendly games would I presume be played at a time that fit in with standard training session times as opposed to a standalone evening match which drags a bunch of the first team and coaches out of their normal routine with Sat-Sat league matches.

28 minutes ago, daniel said:

It will depend on the injury of course. We probably won't need to, but if he is out then we're down to 4 fit CBs when we play 3. We could change to 2 I suppose, or may not get any other injuries/suspensions. But again, it's a risk that wasn't necessary.

We have no regular reserve side, so I think this competition generally helps to get players ready. The gk and one or two others looked a bit weak, but they had played zero real games, so this must help. Hobson would have had the same risks in a reserve league match. I did think that Garrard looked useful, but we need more central defenders ahead of more wingers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

We have no regular reserve side, so I think this competition generally helps to get players ready. The gk and one or two others looked a bit weak, but they had played zero real games, so this must help. Hobson would have had the same risks in a reserve league match. I did think that Garrard looked useful, but we need more central defenders ahead of more wingers. 

My point is that Hobson wouldn't have played in a reserve match. Why couldn't the 4 NL teams in our group arrange friendly matches against each other on the weeks of this cup comp? You could just play players returning from injuries, fringe players, youth players, trialists, whatever ie no rules forcing us to include 4 first team starters.

Caprice played 77 minutes on Saturday, a full 90 last night and will now need to play this Saturday coming because it's looking like we won't have the option to play Hobson at the back and Ogle RWB if we wanted to. Our options are now potentially being limited. Why do that to ourselves when several other teams in the top half haven't? All just to give Charsley some game time and have a look at the reserve keeper? I just don't see how any benefits outweigh the risks/downsides.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

My point is that Hobson wouldn't have played in a reserve match. Why couldn't the 4 NL teams in our group arrange friendly matches against each other on the weeks of this cup comp? You could just play players returning from injuries, fringe players, youth players, trialists, whatever ie no rules forcing us to include 4 first team starters.

Caprice played 77 minutes on Saturday, a full 90 last night and will now need to play this Saturday coming because it's looking like we won't have the option to play Hobson at the back and Ogle RWB if we wanted to. Our options are now potentially being limited. Why do that to ourselves when several other teams in the top half haven't? All just to give Charsley some game time and have a look at the reserve keeper? I just don't see how any benefits outweigh the risks/downsides.

I do agree about this comp but it's not all doom and gloom for Saturday.

Regardless of how you get them there are always injuries to players throughout the season but I think we have enough cover to get by and by the sound of it Sutton had a good game so that's a bonus to come out of it.

14 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I do agree about this comp but it's not all doom and gloom for Saturday.

Regardless of how you get them there are always injuries to players throughout the season but I think we have enough cover to get by and by the sound of it Sutton had a good game so that's a bonus to come out of it.

it isnt even slight doom and gloom. our fourth choice CB will be replaced on the bench by our fifth choice CB and.. and.. well, thats it really.

some people are just drama llama's.

• Like 6

I noticed that some teams had points adjustments .. which I thought was odd and no explination (D&R V Spurs 5-5 but Spurs got 2pts and D&R 1 ) . I went to the game .. it was cold but the match was ok ... Charlsey was great ans Stretton looked ok ... reserved on Garrick. Hobson is just typical and gives everyone something to throw in the clubs face but it was a decent run out and Suttom was really good at CB. Doro's first 5 mins was electrifying ... but as a defender Im not so sure.  Will I go again ? probably not 

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

it isnt even slight doom and gloom. our fourth choice CB will be replaced on the bench by our fifth choice CB and.. and.. well, thats it really.

some people are just drama llama's.

Is it being a drama llama? Which is definitely a phrase I'm going to start using by the way!

Just think it's caused us a bit of self inflicted headache that others around us haven't done to themselves. Which seems a bit daft to me, but hey-ho.

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Is it being a drama llama? Which is definitely a phrase I'm going to start using by the way!

Just think it's caused us a bit of self inflicted headache that others around us haven't done to themselves. Which seems a bit daft to me, but hey-ho.

saying 'Will, get your kit on youre ont bench today' is not a headache.

• Like 1

If we had the old squad numbers of 36, I can see the logic in keeping them fit. 

In a squad of 24 it seems a bit nonsensical as the vast majority are getting minutes, or will at some point. 

Whose the first team squad players who are never likely to play? 

Doro. 
Reid. 

Seems excessive to keep two players ticking over. 

• Like 2

A question:

How many of last nights starting eleven would have started/will start on Saturday?

Raglan and Charsley plus possibly Caprice or Khan? Hobson would have been on the bench.

Hudson

Ogle, Raglan, Monthe

Khan/Caprice, Conlon, Lundstram. Charsley, Kitching

Fondop, Norwood

Bench: seven from...

Moloney, Sutton, Caprice/Khan, Hammond, Stretton, Garner, Dolan, Uchegbulam, Garrick, Gardner

Choices are looking better.

Just now, TheBigDog said:

A question:

How many of last nights starting eleven would have started/will start on Saturday?

Raglan and Charsley plus possibly Caprice or Khan? Hobson would have been on the bench.

Hudson

Ogle, Raglan, Monthe

Khan/Caprice, Conlon, Lundstram. Charsley, Kitching

Fondop, Norwood

Bench: seven from...

Moloney, Sutton, Caprice/Khan, Hammond, Stretton, Garner, Dolan, Uchegbulam, Garrick, Gardner

Choices are looking better.

Hobsons started the last two so not sure why he would have been benched for Saturday, irrelevant now anyway.

I see the team with one of the worst pitches in the division (alongside Halifax) Wealdstone postponed their game at home to Southampton last night due to the pitch being unplayable, that bodes well.

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hobsons started the last two so not sure why he would have been benched for Saturday, irrelevant now anyway.

Fair point.

Started against Forest Green to counter their forward strength - Ebbsfleet because Raglan was suspended - was kept on last night as he was possibly  going to be on the bench Saturday - as you say irrelevant now anyway.

Lets hope the injury is not too serious and it does give Sutton an opportunity...