MATCH: Stoke U23s (H) 01/10/24 - 7pm Kick Off

47 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Lets hope the injury is not too serious and it does give Sutton an opportunity...

The way he was coming off, best case scenario is a hamstring strain which will be at least 3 weeks. A tear and he misses a huge chunk of the season.

Certainly wasn't "It was feeling a little tight".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The way he was coming off, best case scenario is a hamstring strain which will be at least 3 weeks. A tear and he misses a huge chunk of the season.

Certainly wasn't "It was feeling a little tight".

Kicked below the ankle I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Ex Man City academy, so he's probably got potential.

Same as the number 8 who I've  asked the club to keep an eye on for the future, maybe next season on loan as he's only 17yo.

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2023/december/30/gabriel-kelly-pens-first-professional-contract/

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

The competition has MM’s backing….

He’s running the football side, if it’s good enough for him and he’s happy with it then why all the moaning?

In public MM has given his backing but he is just being diplomatic. There is no way he wants to be in it.

You must know why all the moaning, it's a silly competition not designed to benefit any NL team, so all it does is put extra fixtures to a busy schedule, can you imagine if any get postponed and we do ok in the other cup comps? Fixture chaos.

To add to that regardless of other times you could get injured it does add extra chances of it happening. Add to that the costs and expenses of playing it, I know we get some money but does it cover all the expenses, staff wages etc.

That's just looking at it on a match perspective , don't get me started on the long term aim to dilute the football pyramid :)

It does help fringe/new players with some game time but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Hope that helps on why people are moaning. 

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

and you know that how exactly?

I don't know exactly, of course I don't.

It's an opinion based on what we gain from it from a footballing point of view and MM's objectives for the season.

MM's aim is to get us promoted, does this competition help with that?

It does to a certain extent for getting fringe players fit ,as I mentioned , but outweighed by any injuries/niggles/ fatigue.

MM will tow the line in interviews but when he says he backs it in the depths of winter when we are playing constantly Tuesday/ Saturday, I am sorry to say but I won't quite believe him.

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

In public MM has given his backing but he is just being diplomatic. There is no way he wants to be in it.

You must know why all the moaning, it's a silly competition not designed to benefit any NL team, so all it does is put extra fixtures to a busy schedule, can you imagine if any get postponed and we do ok in the other cup comps? Fixture chaos.

To add to that regardless of other times you could get injured it does add extra chances of it happening. Add to that the costs and expenses of playing it, I know we get some money but does it cover all the expenses, staff wages etc.

That's just looking at it on a match perspective , don't get me started on the long term aim to dilute the football pyramid :)

It does help fringe/new players with some game time but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Hope that helps on why people are moaning. 

So we should abandon any plans to join a reserve league. There’s always 1/2 dozen players who are getting zero game time yet they are expected to come in at the drop of a hat and perform?

Latics always used to have a ‘B’ team playing regularly. Can you imagine being at a football club and hardly ever playing?

From the OASF meeting with Darren….

The whole Club board made the decision to join the competition, in consultation with Micky Mellon and his coaching team. Darren explained that, in the absence of a B team this season, which everyone overwhelmingly wanted, this is seen as a next best solution for a player development pathway and way of getting game time.

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So we should abandon any plans to join a reserve league. There’s always 1/2 dozen players who are getting zero game time yet they are expected to come in at the drop of a hat and perform?

Latics always used to have a ‘B’ team playing regularly. Can you imagine being at a football club and hardly ever playing?

The whole Club board made the decision to join the competition, in consultation with Micky Mellon and his coaching team. Darren explained that, in the absence of a B team this season, which everyone overwhelmingly wanted, this is seen as a next best solution for a player development pathway and way of getting game time.

I refer you back to two of my posts where I say it is of benefit to the fringe players but the compulsory playing of first teamers is the issue, just ask Hobson.

Yes join a reserve league I welcome it, we were supposed to be doing that very thing. Also a reserve team plays other reserve teams, normally behind closed doors or at another venue, run by a reserve team staff not dragging all the first team into it or dressing it up as a first team fixture so you can charge people.

People get "consulted" all the time. I was "consulted" about being made redundant, it still didn't change the outcome of what someone else wanted to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Only Blue said:

I refer you back to two of my posts where I say it is of benefit to the fringe players but the compulsory playing of first teamers is the issue, just ask Hobson.

Yes join a reserve league I welcome it, we were supposed to be doing that very thing. Also a reserve team plays other reserve teams, normally behind closed doors or at another venue, run by a reserve team staff not dragging all the first team into it or dressing it up as a first team fixture so you can charge people.

People get "consulted" all the time. I was "consulted" about being made redundant, it still didn't change the outcome of what someone else wanted to happen.

Like I said….If MM is happy with it that’s all that matters!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Given it was an optional competition, I'm pretty sure MM Ok'd it and if he wasn't in favour, we wouldn't have entered it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

I don't know exactly, of course I don't..

…MM will tow the line in interviews but when he says he backs it in the depths of winter when we are playing constantly Tuesday/ Saturday, I am sorry to say but I won't quite believe him…

So just your opinion based on what you believe from what we’re being told then… that’s much clearer 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So just your opinion based on what you believe from what we’re being told then… that’s much clearer 👍

Yes, thankyou for giving me an example of what I mean.

Your words seem to explain and agree with what I am saying and yet I get the impression you are having a dig at me :)

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I'd rather we join and actual reserve league not one where the competition rules dictate we have to play over 1/3 of the 1st 11 from the previous first team game in it.and that has a dedicated manager for it to coach and manage so that current 1st team manager and 1st team themselves get a night off to prepare for their far more important game at the weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd rather we join and actual reserve league not one where the competition rules dictate we have to play over 1/3 of the 1st 11 from the previous first team game in it.and that has a dedicated manager for it to coach and manage so that current 1st team manager and 1st team themselves get a night off to prepare for their far more important game at the weekend.

I’m sure the management would too but is there a suitable league?

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Like I said….If MM is happy with it that’s all that matters!

Ohh that's his happy face, it's no different from his angry face :)

I don't think he is happy about it, I think (my opinion BigDog ) he was either told or persuaded into agreeing as he would have been told that it was for the good of the club so either way I don't think he would have been allowed to refuse.

28 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Given it was an optional competition, I'm pretty sure MM Ok'd it and if he wasn't in favour, we wouldn't have entered it.

You can be not in favour of something and be talked into still doing it but we shouldn't be thinking he is being totally honest by saying he is "happy" to be in this competition.

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

DR told OASF that Micky was consulted, and is fully on board. The interview is on their website. 

If you have ever been in a consultation meeting you will know they don't mean anything.

Basically someone tells you what they are doing, why they are doing it, ask if you have any questions. They will answer your questions with the same reasons of why they are doing it their way.

Maybe say sorry that you're not on board with it but then say "there you are we consulted you"

The end result has never changed from a consultation... ever.

Micky Mellon throughout his career is all about promotions, getting teams promoted is what he does and Cup competitions always go on the back burner, you could say last year that we had a fair chance of progressing and doing well in the Trophy but his post match interviews suggested to me that he saw it as more of an inconvenience and that was despite having a squad of 30 odd.

41 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m sure the management would too but is there a suitable league?

Not sure but the talk of the B team that was muted has died a death. Reserve team football has appeared to have deteriorated in the last 15 years or so.

Alot has been done for the development of young players in that time and we are (as a country) producing technically better players, but the death of reserve team football hasn't been to the benefit of anyone. If this is the alternative it only appears to be to the benefit of premier league academies.

Edited by GlossopLatic

19 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

If you have ever been in a consultation meeting you will know they don't mean anything.

Basically someone tells you what they are doing, why they are doing it, ask if you have any questions. They will answer your questions with the same reasons of why they are doing it their way.

Maybe say sorry that you're not on board with it but then say "there you are we consulted you"

The end result has never changed from a consultation... ever.

Ah right.

So the same board that head hunted him and offered him the job;  and then gave him everything he wants after he told them the processes were all wrong. . . are the same board that tell him to like it or lump it. 👀

My guess is he was ambivalent towards it, but if he had said, it’s a non starter we wouldn’t be in it. 

Nobody puts Micky in a corner. 😎

54 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Yes, thankyou for giving me an example of what I mean.

Your words seem to explain and agree with what I am saying and yet I get the impression you are having a dig at me :)

A slight dig yes in that your original post came across as you knew what MM was thinking when all along it was just your opinion - I misinterpreted obvs