MATCH: Stoke U23s (H) 01/10/24 - 7pm Kick Off

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Micky Mellon throughout his career is all about promotions, getting teams promoted is what he does and Cup competitions always go on the back burner, you could say last year that we had a fair chance of progressing and doing well in the Trophy but his post match interviews suggested to me that he saw it as more of an inconvenience and that was despite having a squad of 30 odd.

Bit of a disservice to MM there.

Took non-league Fleetwood to FA Cup 2nd round for their first time and, after promotion, to the 3rd round, again for first time.

At Shrewsbury, guided them to League Cup 4th round (lost to Chelsea) and first ever FA Cup 5th round (lost to Man Utd).

Hoping we can do okay in cups this season, but promotion is top priority 

29 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

If you have ever been in a consultation meeting you will know they don't mean anything.

Basically someone tells you what they are doing, why they are doing it, ask if you have any questions. They will answer your questions with the same reasons of why they are doing it their way.

Maybe say sorry that you're not on board with it but then say "there you are we consulted you"

The end result has never changed from a consultation... ever.

I've been in consultation of redundancy where you are given a choice of reapplying for your job or taking redundancy either way your job is going but you are given an option.

It does appear that we along with other clubs had a choice whether to take part or not. What conversations went on between the 1st team management and the board when this idea was muted we don't know and it's not a conversation we as fans need to be privy too. However if Mellon did strongly oppose it enough then we will have likely pulled out as whichever way we look at it this is the 4th priority interms of the competitions that we are in.

8 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Perhaps the manager thinks we can make a bit from it and has been told that profits will go to the playing budget?

Might it have initially funded having a look at Garrick?

The attendance was 427 last night even if they all paid full price of £5 a throw then I doubt that will have been enough to cover the costs of the game even throwing in the £10k that the PL will have given to fund it when you take into account the staff costs and the other overheads such as the floodlights. It won't have much if any impact on the playing budget.

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ah right.

So the same board that head hunted him and offered him the job;  and then gave him everything he wants after he told them the processes were all wrong. . . are the same board that tell him to like it or lump it. 👀

My guess is he was ambivalent towards it, but if he had said, it’s a non starter we wouldn’t be in it. 

Nobody puts Micky in a corner. 😎

I think I fall into the trap that posters on here have to deal in absolutes one way or the other rather than in the grey area of a bit of both.

They won't have said like it or lump it but MM may have gently been persuaded by DR to give his approval.

By giving his approval it doesn't mean he is happy about it.

I agree to go to the pub every Friday but I am not happy about it.... wait no wrong example :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I think I fall into the trap that posters on here have to deal in absolutes one way or the other rather than in the grey area of a bit of both.

No one was in the room so you’re giving your best guess, as am I. There is no absolute, and lots of grey. 

We’re playing in it. 

The club obviously wants to. 

As I said before, my guess is - I think MM is ambivalent. 

I say that, because he was headhunted, given lots of control and is a very strong character. He doesn’t strike me as the type to just accept it, IF he thought it was a really bad idea. 

Equally, you could be right and he went with the greater good. 

21 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I agree to go to the pub every Friday but I am not happy about it.... wait no wrong example :)

I’ve started thinking about how I’m getting home before I go. Which is a new low. 

• Like 2

Hobson injured. Just imagine Raglan had been too! Hobson is a key defender and his loss alone is exactly why we shouldn't have entered. As this farce of a competition progresses, it will ultimately cost us more and more in terms of injuries and fatigue etc.

With regard to "making money"; on a non-crowd of 400 and odd! Putting on a football match is an expensive business. Be better off shaking buckets at Eastlands again if it's spare change we're scratching around for.

4 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Hobson injured. Just imagine Raglan had been too! Hobson is a key defender and his loss alone is exactly why we shouldn't have entered. As this farce of a competition progresses, it will ultimately cost us more and more in terms of injuries and fatigue etc.

With regard to "making money"; on a non-crowd of 400 and odd! Putting on a football match is an expensive business. Be better off shaking buckets at Eastlands again if it's spare change we're scratching around for.

Key defender that isn't in our best 11?

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The way he was coming off, best case scenario is a hamstring strain which will be at least 3 weeks. A tear and he misses a huge chunk of the season.

Certainly wasn't "It was feeling a little tight".

He got studs down the back of his ankle.

Think a few are doing Hobson a disservice here, he's started 9 out of 12 in the League and I can't say I'd put him at fault for any goal conceded, his distribution let's him down occasionally but he's an integral part of that defensive unit, it's okay saying we have Ogle but if he or Raglan go down now we won't have the same quality to cover. I also feel Ogle is our best RWB so that takes something away from how we can set up, it looked to me like he'd gone over on his ankle on Tuesday so it will probably be 2 to 6 weeks depending on the damage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Think a few are doing Hobson a disservice here, he's started 9 out of 12 in the League and I can't say I'd put him at fault for any goal conceded, his distribution let's him down occasionally but he's an integral part of that defensive unit, it's okay saying we have Ogle but if he or Raglan go down now we won't have the same quality to cover. I also feel Ogle is our best RWB so that takes something away from how we can set up, it looked to me like he'd gone over on his ankle on Tuesday so it will probably be 2 to 6 weeks depending on the damage.

He got the oppo's studs down the back of his ankle/Achilles. Stopped him in his tracks instantly. Depends if it's a soft tissue or muscle damage. That said what do I know medically? not a lot.