MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 05/10/24

22 minutes ago, daniel said:

WTF is going on with Norwood again? 
MM says a calf injury, which I don’t doubt, but unless he’s taking the piss then according to his Instagram he ran a marathon yesterday on the treadmill. No wonder he has a calf issue. Surely a 34 year old striker with no pre-season isn’t running a marathon the day before a game? Can he even do a marathon? Doesn’t the average player run around 12k a game, so a marathon is a big jump. Unsure if he’s just taking the piss or not as I haven’t seen it as I don’t have Instagram but was told about 

At a time we need him more than ever, he's as unreliable as they come both on and off the pitch.

Will the real James please stand up!

Thought we were the better side for 70 mins, despite us not being at our best. The chances we missed we could have won two games. Jez is a weakness when it comes to his defensive duties, I’m still not convinced he is an upgrade on Green (the stats don’t lie). Leaving Ogle very exposed, but defensively we were all over the place which is very unlike us so I’m hoping it’s a one off. 

Lundstram looks a different player the last few games. Starting to see the qualities he must have had winning Altys POTY. Amazing what a change in confidence can do. 

Fondop and Garner don’t work as pair now we have actual footballers playing behind them and not just long ball merchants. Need some pace up there which is what Drummond brought when he came on. Would like to see Drummond and Stretton up top together. Young, pacy and wanting to prove a point. 

The big test will be how we progress from here, one thing I did notice though was it really hurt them that loss today. That’s a good sign. Hopefully it’s back to winning ways on Saturday. 

39 minutes ago, daniel said:

WTF is going on with Norwood again? 
MM says a calf injury, which I don’t doubt, but unless he’s taking the piss then according to his Instagram he ran a marathon yesterday on the treadmill. No wonder he has a calf issue. Surely a 34 year old striker with no pre-season isn’t running a marathon the day before a game? Can he even do a marathon? Doesn’t the average player run around 12k a game, so a marathon is a big jump. Unsure if he’s just taking the piss or not as I haven’t seen it as I don’t have Instagram but was told about it…..

No, the time was like 1 hour and a half running. So it was not a marathon 😂

1 minute ago, adamoafc said:

Would like to see Drummond and Stretton up top together. Young, pacy and wanting to prove a point. 

Putting all our faith in two who've only just come through the door is a risk but why not I say

Something has to happen in the final third or we're done

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I know Khan scored last week but in the three games he’s been involved in he’s done very little 

He's dreadful, Mellons obsession with him is bewildering, he's the definition of a nothing player.

Just now, Littlemoor Lad said:

Putting all our faith in two who've only just come through the door is a risk but why not I say

Something has to happen in the final third or we're done

It is a risk but we keep repeating the same thing of not finishing our chances. So why not go down a different route with it? Can still change it in the game if it isn’t working. 

• Like 1

Just now, yarddog73 said:

He's dreadful, Mellons obsession with him is bewildering, he's the definition of a nothing player.

He’s really not if he’s played where he’s spent most of his career, out wide. Really don’t understand the reason behind Mellon playing him down the centre. 

Just now, adamoafc said:

It is a risk but we keep repeating the same thing of not finishing our chances. So why not go down a different route with it? Can still change it in the game if it isn’t working. 

I'm with you on this and maybe a breath of fresh air

9 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Fondop and Garner don’t work as pair now we have actual footballers playing behind them and not just long ball merchants. 

This is a really good point. They worked for a spell last year when our only tactic was to win territory and use strength. 

I’d have Drummond starting for sure. He looked like a totally different option. Not sure about who with. I don’t think Fondop should be cast aside after one bad game so maybe try them together. But I think it’ll be a few games yet before Mellon is able to work out his best combinations in midfield and up front.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Blind loyalty is the answer as to why so many managers surround themselves with former players, especially when most have cost them their jobs

18 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

No, the time was like 1 hour and a half running. So it was not a marathon 😂

It might have been a rapid marathon??

In all seriousness it seems a strange thing to be doing on a Friday before a game on Saturday. 

I thought we were poor for the majority of the game. Started ok for the first 10 minutes but seemed to let out foot of the gas a little, struggled to retain possession and that gave Solihull a foothold in the game. Then we were just too predictable in our play, every attack was a long crossfield ball. Its just a bit odd, sometimes we never switch it and today when the opposition have a set up that leaves acres of space in the middle, we spend all game pinging it into the corners. The worst thing you can be is predictable in football and that's what we were today until we started going for it after the goal. That being said we still created enough chances to win that. I've said it before that fondop, when he actually has time to think about the finish, is a good awful finisher. His brain just doesn't work fast enough and he wasted chance after chance. He has his uses but it might be time to try something different upfront. The new lad looked bright in his cameo so I'd expect he may start the next game. You can't win every game and sometimes the opposition deserve to win but I think you'd put today down as 3 points dropped. Oh and caprice was dreadful, stuck in no mans land between attacking and defending, ruined the balance of the side.

• Like 1

We keep blaming individuals and whilst we missed a few very good chances you have to put some of the blame on to MM. I don’t think he has a clue as to what his best team is!

We never look particularly confident going forward reverting once again to the hit & hope long ball route when chasing the game.

When Solihull attacked they moved the ball forward with quick & precise passes.

I just don’t think MM is a very good coach tbh.

Edited by oafc1955

3 minutes ago, daniel said:

It might have been a rapid marathon??

In all seriousness it seems a strange thing to be doing on a Friday before a game on Saturday. 

Agree. I assumed he wasn’t playing today for that reason. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he did it as a fuck you as the physio didn’t show up ? 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This is a really good point. They worked for a spell last year when our only tactic was to win territory and use strength. 

I’d have Drummond starting for sure. He looked like a totally different option. Not sure about who with. I don’t think Fondop should be cast aside after one bad game so maybe try them together. But I think it’ll be a few games yet before Mellon is able to work out his best combinations in midfield and up front.

The thing with fondop starting is that I feel it is an easy out for us to just ping it at him. We try to play out with it but it's always getting launched forward. We won't improve if we don't attempt to play through teams. If he wants to play route 1, then set us up to do that. It's like we're stuck between 2 ideas, and it's amplified when the big man is up top. That's no fondops fault, but there's less temptation to go long when he isn't on.

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We keep blaming individuals and whilst we missed a few very good chances you have to put some of the blame on to MM. I don’t think he has a clue as to what his team is!

We never look particularly confident going forward reverting once again to the hit & hope long ball route when chasing the game.

When Solihull attacked they moved the ball forward with quick & precise passes.

I just don’t think MM is a very good coach tbh.

History repeating itself? It can't happen, can it?

19 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

The thing with fondop starting is that I feel it is an easy out for us to just ping it at him. We try to play out with it but it's always getting launched forward. We won't improve if we don't attempt to play through teams. If he wants to play route 1, then set us up to do that. It's like we're stuck between 2 ideas, and it's amplified when the big man is up top. That's no fondops fault, but there's less temptation to go long when he isn't on.

I do agree with that, but also he’s been our best forward this season so it would be harsh to drop him after his recent form. There’ll probably be more experimenting to come.