MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 05/10/24

Not read too much of the comments don't really want too. But one observation I'd make is that Solihull came and acted as spoilers slowed the game down and did quite abit of shithousery. I'm not going to criticise them for that they did what they had to do to win the game.

What I will say is that they won't be the last team to come to BP to do that this season and we are going to have to learn to deal with that. I feel like you have to be patient in those games and not give away silly goals and we did. I think us giving away the 3 goals will be of most dissapointment for Mellon. The back 3 who have all been very good for us this season all had an off day. We've yet to win from going behind yet. That will also be something we will have to do at some point.

I don't think we should overanalyse it. There is a long way to go yet with plenty of twists and turns. We will drop points and lose games between now and May its just a fact of life, the other promotion chasers will do too. We"ve Just got to pick ourselves up and go on another run.

Onwards.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Your defence for this guy is bizzare. You just can’t rely on him. He has to score those chances, because he’s not going to hit a strike like Forest Green every week. He will be dropped soon, hopefully. 

I say hopefully, as it means we will hopefully have a better option. 

Only as bizarre as those with an agenda against him. Missed chances yesterday (which the nay-sayers will jump on as they see it as point vindicated..), but all strikers do. 

5 goals and 3 assists so far this season...we don't currently have anyone better.

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Watched the highlights what was Conlon doing for the first goal just let his man run past him.

Weak as piss is an expression I'd probably use, he didn't have the desire to win the battle and should have dealt with that. Lazy.

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Only as bizarre as those with an agenda against him. Missed chances yesterday (which the nay-sayers will jump on as they see it as point vindicated..), but all strikers do. 

5 goals and 3 assists so far this season...we don't currently have anyone better.

Agreed. I was really frustrated with Fondop (and Lundstrum) for missing those chances yesterday. I’m sure they were frustrated as well! But they have been two of our better players this season, with maximum effort, so I back them all the way.

Watch highlights of any league (certainly higher level leagues than ours) and you will see big missed chances. It happens. Take MOTD last night, Eze for C Palace fluffs a one v one. Gordon misses a penalty and also has a clear run at goal but fires over from close range. Both good players, both England internationals, both playing 5 divisions higher than our lads. Let’s move on and back our boys (and trust MMs judgement) and not scream for them to be taken off the pitch which is what happened yesterday.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

This is the nub of it. 

Is Mikey doing well for his ability- yes. 

Is he doing the best out who we have- yes.

Is it good enough for a side aiming for top 3 that we are relying on every week - no. 

Norwood isn’t firing for whatever reason. 

Garner looks ineffective this season. 

Stretton and Drummond are unknown. 

Mikey is playing every week, because of the paucity of options. He will get you the winner one week, then can’t  finish dinner the next. All his goals are instinctive, the minute he has to think he fluffs his lines. 

He is doing well, but we need better. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

When did this happen Paul, in training? Was hoping Dolan could’ve got a run out on Tuesday v Stoke as he didn’t get any minutes v Ebbsfleet.

Can't really add to what the managers said sorry

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This is the nub of it. 

Is Mikey doing well for his ability- yes. 

Is he doing the best out who we have- yes.

Is it good enough for a side aiming for top 3 that we are relying on every week - no. 

Norwood isn’t firing for whatever reason. 

Garner looks ineffective this season. 

Stretton and Drummond are unknown. 

Mikey is playing every week, because of the paucity of options. He will get you the winner one week, then can’t  finish dinner the next. All his goals are instinctive, the minute he has to think he fluffs his lines. 

He is doing well, but we need better. 

Not incorrect, but I still think we need a striker to go along side him, rather than replace him.  Someone who can finish the ugly work Fondop puts in.

As I say, strikers miss chances.  The "we need better" line is not untrue but it's the National League - whoever we sign as a supposed improvement is going to have bad games and miss chances.

Edited by JoeP

45 minutes ago, JoeP said:

You can’t miss basic chances like that I’m sorry. 

If we can’t rely on our main striker to score some basic chances, we won’t ever compete. 

Edited by LightDN123

13 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Drummond's cameo showed he can be a good acquisition.  👍

Watched drummond for a few years along with dolan,drummond was a composed finnisher albeit at a lower level,but i think he ll do well and add a great attacking threat

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Punt from Monthe, wasn't it?

He still had to carry the ball a fair way and be fast enough that the defender didn't catch him up..

I thought garner dragged the CB under the ball, it bounced through to fondop who ran in. Their CB was nowhere near him, all he had to do was set himself and slot it in, which he didn't.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

As I say, strikers miss chances.  The "we need better" line is not untrue but it's the National League - whoever we sign as a supposed improvement is going to have bad games and miss chances

It’s not that he misses chances Joe, it’s the type of chances- they always tend to be guilt edge one on one type chances.

He doesn’t have a record where he scores some of them, and misses some. He misses them all. 

His goals are always instinct/no time to think. That’s great, but it only covers one aspect of finishing. We can’t rely on someone who only has one aspect to being able to score. 

Even if gets a reliable partner, we still need him to be able to finish relatively simple chances - which he struggles with. 

Fondop has had about double the time on the pitch than any other striker I think. He’s benefitted because he’s the only one who’s been here from the start, had a full preseason and been fit and available for every game. 

I’m not advocating dropping him but I have always thought, like many others, that he doesn’t have the consistency to be a goal threat in every game. We do need someone on the pitch who is. Whether that’s alongside or instead of him. 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s not that he misses chances Joe, it’s the type of chances- they always tend to be guilt edge one on one type chances.

He doesn’t have a record where he scores some of them, and misses some. He misses them all. 

His goals are always instinct/no time to think. That’s great, but it only covers one aspect of finishing. We can’t rely on someone who only has one aspect to being able to score. 

Even if gets a reliable partner, we still need him to be able to finish relatively simple chances - which he struggles with. 

So we need to sign a striker that scores the gilt-edged chances AND scores the instinctive wonder-striker that's willing to drop to the National League?  I'd be amazed if we find such a player..

Fondop's chief catalyst in our good start.  I find it odd that people instantly point the finger at him when it goes west.  Our defence parted like the red sea yesterday, Conlon did sweet FA, there was a severe lack of energy in the first-half, Garner missed a chance (and doesn't do masses) but it's the player who's had a great start to the season that we need to replace.  What would our start be without without him, I wonder?  Norwood and Garner seems to be many's partnership of choice, but where's the energy there?

I think you did a thread about Scapegoat for the season - we might as well close the voting now!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Ship. Sailed.

Just before we go down this route again, a few key points to remember:

- you don't have to read posts that are of no interest to you.

- you don't have to respond to posts that are of no interest to you.

If you...if you start reading a post and think "this post is over-analysing/boring/not for me/whatever" - just ignore it.  I can't emphasise enough how easy that is to do..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Is it just me or is anyone else suspicious of the Norwood and Dolan 'injuries'?. 

It's been a shit week all in all topped off by that fucking Micky Mouse Cup game on Tuesday.

Hear whispers of him moving on (Norwood), absolutely nothing to back it up with, just a few people at the game. I don’t know if that’s just based on us signing 2 forwards recently. 

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So we need to sign a striker that scores the gilt-edged chances AND scores the instinctive wonder-striker that's willing to drop to the National League?  I'd be amazed if we find such a player..

Nope. Never said that.

We’ve already signed a proven striker from the league’s above and he isn’t doing the business for whatever reason/s. 

So Mikey has to start. Not should or could. Has to. That’s not his fault, and it’s a poor reflection on our striking options/recruitment. We rectified the defence, midfield, and wide areas, but started the season with two injured strikers and Mikey. 

In my opinion, if Mikey plays all season his type of finishing will get you about 15 goals. 15 goals doesn’t get you promoted, but will be a good return from him. 

He can be doing well for his ability and not be clinical enough for a promotion chasing team. 

29 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Fondop's chief catalyst in our good start. 

He won us the game against Yeovil and FGR and cost us the game against Alty and yesterday. That’s football. Overall he’s done well, but Monthe, Ogle, Kitching, Charsley and have all had a massive impact. It’s a team improvement. Not the Mikey show. 

33 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I find it odd that people instantly point the finger at him when it goes west.  Our defence parted like the red sea yesterday, Conlon did sweet FA, there was a severe lack of energy in the first-half, Garner missed a chance (and doesn't do masses) but it's the player who's had a great start to the season that we need to replace.  What would our start be without without him, I wonder?  Norwood and Garner seems to be many's partnership of choice, but where's the energy there?

That’s just not true. Plenty on here calling out Khan and Conlon for a no show. Monthe and Raglan for having poor games by their standards. Nor would I drop Mikey, because I agree he has to play, but not because he’s a great player, but because there’s no one else. 

Simply put- he is now our main man, and as our main man he’ll do good. But won’t be good enough to take us up. 

43 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Just before we go down this route again, a few key points to remember:

- you don't have to read posts that are of no interest to you.

- you don't have to respond to posts that are of no interest to you.

If you...if you start reading a post and think "this post is over-analysing/boring/not for me/whatever" - just ignore it.  I can't emphasise enough how easy that is to do..

1 million percent. 👏🏻

If me and Joe debating bores you, ignore us. 

• Like 1