MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 05/10/24

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Football fans in react poorly to a player shocker. 

No player should take personal abuse, but unfortunately it happens at every club with every set of fans. If players sought a move every time the fans reacted poorly they’d never be anywhere longer than 5 minutes. I also highly doubt he gives a shit (nor should he) about opinions online. Again, if he read that he wouldn’t have had the career he has. 

Were you there? I’ve never seen that level of abuse directed by a set of fans at their own player before. It’s wasn’t boos and groans it was straight out abuse. And as far as I can tell his crime was a dip in form in the 2nd half of the season. He’d scored 17 goals ffs!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

or people completely overanalysing him/criticising him for not smiling/making up rumours about him.

People keep saying this, but who? I only ever see people (like me) who acknowledge what a good player he  can be and are at a loss as to why it isn’t working out given his pedigree and quality. Or people completely making stuff up about fans caring whether he smiles. 

Anyway, this is boring so I’ll leave it there. 😁

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

You can but you can also call it out and challenge a point of view. No point stating van opinion amd getting defensive (I'm not saying you particularly) if people challenge it. we've no need to worry too much about yesterday if losing becomes a habit then it becomes a concern.

Challenging a point of view is pretty much what this place should be all about.

It's the "this has been done to death/why are we discussing this?" sort of post that I was talking about.  No one has the right to tell others what they can and can't talk about. If a post doesn't interest an individual, it's quite easy to simply not get involved..

Just now, League one forever said:

People keep saying this, but who? I only ever see people (like me) who acknowledge what a good player he  can be and are at a loss as to why it isn’t working out given his pedigree and quality. Or people completely making stuff up about fans caring whether he smiles. 

Anyway, this is boring so I’ll leave it there. 😁

He was being criticised in here for allegedly "running a marathon", after a defeat that he didn't even play in!

Bet he wasn't even smiling on that treadmill the bastard

Just now, nzlatic said:

Were you there? I’ve never seen that level of abuse directed by a set of fans at their own player before. It’s wasn’t boos and groans it was straight out abuse. And as far as I can tell his crime was a dip in form in the 2nd half of the season. He’d scored 17 goals ffs!!

I wasn’t. I was there when Shelton got booed on. I was there when Sheron got cheered for being subbed. I was there when Hogan told the fans to fuck off. 

Sheron’s crime as far as I can see, is not finding an easy pass. Despite being ever present and being 3rd top scorer. 

Or is Norwood a special type of abuse? 

It’s all wrong. 

The point was, should fans take responsibility for a player not performing. My answer to that is, it certainly doesn’t help- but if you define any player on their ability to take personal abuse or not,  hardly any of them at any club would have a career. 

What you or I want- get behind them, don’t shout negativity or personal stuff at them- is never going to happen on mass. There will always be a minority who can’t help themselves. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

He was being criticised in here for allegedly "running a marathon", after a defeat that he didn't even play in!

I bet the treadmill wasn't 

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The fact he missed the game and why he missed it should absolutely be discussed though, should it not? The day before he was posting on his private socials about doing some long distance runs on a treadmill. Would you do that with a calf injury? Is that what caused the injury? If so, why on earth was he doing that the day before a game? He mentioned about a physio not showing up, should we not ask what that is all about?

I’ve backed him to the hilt on this forum numerous times, but we are absolutely within our rights to be asking these questions when our highest earner and supposed best player is posting this kind of stuff on social media. It’s not even about criticising him it’s about wanting to see if there is an issue with him, which many people believe there is. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Eh? 

There isn’t one single post on here criticising him for the defeat. 

His non appearance and the defeat are two completely separate things. 

No one has talked in certainty about the injury - IE Norwood is definitely having us over and faking an injury. 

What people have asked and said is, it looks odd. Given he looked fit on Friday, Mellons comments, and signing Drummond so quickly after Stretton. 

But what do we know. He might be back next week. 

37 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Were you at Oxford away last season? Bit different to a few online whingers. I’m surprised he didn’t take whatever move he could after that. 

Or last home game of season when fans were giving him so much abuse he told them to fuck off ? 

People can think what they want, but Norwood gets a lot more grief than any other player. Rightly or wrongly. People choose to either ignore it or they are deluded. 

1 minute ago, daniel said:

The fact he missed the game and why he missed it should absolutely be discussed though, should it not? The day before he was posting on his private socials about doing some long distance runs on a treadmill. Would you do that with a calf injury? Is that what caused the injury? If so, why on earth was he doing that the day before a game? He mentioned about a physio not showing up, should we not ask what that is all about?

I’ve backed him to the hilt on this forum numerous times, but we are absolutely within our rights to be asking these questions when our highest earner and supposed best player is posting this kind of stuff on social media. It’s not even about criticising him it’s about wanting to see if there is an issue with him, which many people believe there is. 

Spot on Dan. 

It’s hardly some deep level detective work. There’s enough in the public domain to say that’s it’s odd. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I wasn’t. I was there when Shelton got booed on. I was there when Sheron got cheered for being subbed. I was there when Hogan told the fans to fuck off. 

Sheron’s crime as far as I can see, is not finding an easy pass. Despite being ever present and being 3rd top scorer. 

Or is Norwood a special type of abuse? 

It’s all wrong. 

The point was, should fans take responsibility for a player not performing. My answer to that is, it certainly doesn’t help- but if you define any player on their ability to take personal abuse or not,  hardly any of them at any club would have a career. 

What you or I want- get behind them, don’t shout negativity or personal stuff at them- is never going to happen on mass. There will always be a minority who can’t help themselves. 

I've been there for the booing on and the cheering off of other players too. And I think that's overstepping the mark as well and stupidly counterproductive.

Norwood had his chant adapted to go on about being a waste of money or something and had "WANKER WANKER WANKER" chanted at him when he walked past the crowd. Like I said, he'd scored 17 goals, which I don't think is that bad. So I do think he's had a special level of abuse. I'm old enough to fully understand that players will get stick from fans. I also think that what happened then and I believe at other games was unwarranted and over the top. I also think, but can in no way prove of course (!), that if Norwood was a "badge kisser" he wouldn't have had that abuse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Or last home game of season when fans were giving him so much abuse he told them to fuck off ? 

People can think what they want, but Norwood gets a lot more grief than any other player. Rightly or wrongly. People choose to either ignore it or they are deluded. 

Like Hogan did on several occasions. Nor do I blame him or Nors telling people to fuck off. Good on them. 

Norwood, Hogan, Sheron (remember him 👀) Shelton all got abuse. 

Non of it is acceptable. 

None of it helps. 

But he isn’t a special case for it. I’d suggest those that think he is, are looking for an excuse for his play.  

Despite his limitations Sheron contributed all season. . . 

Just now, nzlatic said:

I've been there for the booing on and the cheering off of other players too. And I think that's overstepping the mark as well and stupidly counterproductive.

Norwood had his chant adapted to go on about being a waste of money or something and had "WANKER WANKER WANKER" chanted at him when he walked past the crowd. Like I said, he'd scored 17 goals, which I don't think is that bad. So I do think he's had a special level of abuse. I'm old enough to fully understand that players will get stick from fans. I also think that what happened then and I believe at other games was unwarranted and over the top. I also think, but can in no way prove of course (!), that if Norwood was a "badge kisser" he wouldn't have had that abuse.

For some reason some fans deem it acceptable because he's our highest earner. I don't even particularly rate him and think he's been disappointing since signing, but the stick he gets constantly is so OTT. I saw posters on here criticising him after a winning goal this season because he apparently wasn't celebrating to their standards 😄 it's pathetic

Anyway, I'll stop discussing it any further because it's derailing threads. Personally, I'm just of the opinion that we should support our own players as best we can. Some fans just clearly don't like the guy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Do you have your 4 4 2 line up for next week yet BP. Curious who you would.pick?

I don't think we have the players for a 4-4--2 as our centre mid is weak as piss buy I'll have a go based on who we had available yesterday

Hudson

Ogle

Raglan 

Monthe

Kitching

Drummond 

Lundstrum 

Charsley 

Uchegbulam 

Fondop

Stretton 

Maloney

Caprice

Sutton

Conlon

Gardner

Hammond

Garner

Or what I'd prefer

4-2-3-1

Hudson

Ogle

Raglan

Monthe

Kitching

Conlon

Gardner

Drummond

Lundstrum 

Charsley 

Fondop

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't think we have the players for a 4-4--2 as our centre mid is weak as piss buy I'll have a go based on who we had available yesterday

Hudson

Ogle

Raglan 

Monthe

Kitching

Drummond 

Lundstrum 

Charsley 

Uchegbulam 

Fondop

Stretton 

Maloney

Caprice

Sutton

Conlon

Gardner

Hammond

Garner

Or what I'd prefer

4-2-3-1

Hudson

Ogle

Raglan

Monthe

Kitching

Conlon

Gardner

Drummond

Lundstrum 

Charsley 

Fondop

Can’t go with 1 up front with our fan base. They’ll be uproar again. We talk about dinosaur managers, but it’s our dinosaur fanbase which is the problem. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s a very fair point, and probably true. I can’t see them doing that to Mikey for example. 

You could argue that Norwood could "be more Mikey" to try and put an end to that sort of stuff!

Time will tell whether Norwood will be back to the sort of level he was in the early part of last season. I'd like to see a fit and firing Norwood alongside Drummond. Based off that brief appearance yesterday I think that has the potential to be our most potent partnership.

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I actually think you're right on this, but it is down to multiple factors:

- He earns the most

- He's come with the most expectation

- (whether it's the right impression or not) He doesn't seem particularly happy here or ever tried to endear himself to the fans

- In spite of the stats, he does seem to pick and choose the games he turns up in

- Rumours of other managers not wanting to touch him with a barge poll and calling him "a bully"

- Putting the kind of stuff on social media talked about in the thread and posing online at a Barnsley game with a Barnsley top on, pint in hand when he's supposed to be injured.

I'm not saying any of these things are actually significant, but I can see why these things would make him a target ahead of the other players.

26 minutes ago, daniel said:

Possibly the physio or some other member of the coaching/fitness team, had told him to do the treadmill routine. It's not like he was on the piss. 

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Like Hogan did on several occasions. Nor do I blame him or Nors telling people to fuck off. Good on them. 

Norwood, Hogan, Sheron (remember him 👀) Shelton all got abuse. 

Non of it is acceptable. 

None of it helps. 

But he isn’t a special case for it. I’d suggest those that think he is, are looking for an excuse for his play.  

Despite his limitations Sheron contributed all season. . . 

The difference is, Norwood was doing good and scored 17 goals.

People are bitter/jealous about the amount he earns. 

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Possibly the physio or some other member of the coaching/fitness team, had told him to do the treadmill routine. It's not like he was on the piss. 

Oh come on…. I’m no medical expert but one of our strikers has a calf problem, and is missing the game on the following day and our physio tells him to go and run a greater distance in which he would have covered in the actual game? Makes zero sense to me. 

Edited by daniel

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Oh come on…. I’m no medical expert but one of our strikers has a calf problem, and is missing the game on the following day and our physio tells him to go and run a greater distance in which he would have covered in the actual game? Makes zero sense to me. 

Fuck all our club does makes zero sense. I'm just putting a possible scenario out there. Unless you are privvy to what goes on its all guesswork.