MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 05/10/24

47 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Fascinated to see the line up for the FA Cup tie against Halifax, given there's a week until the game and no midweek match following (assuming there's no replay) would expect us to play a strong team, but it's a chance to rest anyone carrying a niggle. Potentially there's a chance to experiment up front if the loan lads are available, fully expect Charsley to come back in for Khan.

The James Norwood situation is interesting, "Norwood's reported a calf problem". Elsewhere people say he put on his Instagram that he ran 1.5 hours on a treadmill on the Friday before the game. I really hope there's no tomfoolery going on that could damage the promotion bid. 

We'll go full strength for the FA Cup, or atleast I expect us too. Think we will see a few changes from Saturday though. The strongest team at the moment changes from week to week. We do have a number of options to choose from that's the good thing.

We'll see what happens with the James Norwood thing I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in the team on Saturday though.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We'll go full strength for the FA Cup, or atleast I expect us too. Think we will see a few changes from Saturday though. The strongest team at the moment changes from week to week. We do have a number of options to choose from that's the good thing.

We'll see what happens with the James Norwood thing I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in the team on Saturday though.

Hope so, on both counts.

Agree that the strongest team changes from week to week dependent on form, fitness and the opposition.

If we're allowed to play Drummond there's an argument for playing him from the start although if not he's an outstanding impact sub.

I've got more time for Khan than others on the board. Thought he was neat on Saturday, always looked to pass forward and he's got a nice left peg, put some decent crosses in. But we have to find a way of getting Charsley back in the starting XI.  

On 10/5/2024 at 6:42 PM, BP1960 said:

I don't care what others say Charsley does nothing for me. He was even anonymous against Stoke's kids. 

Baffles me how you can have a side hustle as a scout yet you can't see what Charsley brings to the table. Just energy, consistency, a goal threat from midfield and probably the best facial hair in the team, but other than that...

He's the upgrade on Sheron we were all expecting.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Baffles me how you can have a side hustle as a scout yet you can't see what Charsley brings to the table. Just energy, consistency, a goal threat from midfield and probably the best facial hair in the team, but other than that...

He's the upgrade on Sheron we were all expecting.

He made his mind up in pre season when Charsley looked to be struggling particularly on the fitness front. 

He was first name on the team sheet prior to his injury and rightly so, he'll be a big player for us this season. 

Hopefully with him back it will lift the midfield.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He made his mind up in pre season when Charsley looked to be struggling particularly on the fitness front. 

He was first name on the team sheet prior to his injury and rightly so, he'll be a big player for us this season. 

Hopefully with him back it will lift the midfield.

He’s hands down the best midfielder we have. He’s got the energy, goal threat, retains the ball and can pass the ball. Doesn’t treat the thing like a hot potato and doesn’t look uncomfortable on the ball. 

He’s not dynamic is BPs criticism, whatever that means. 

• Like 2

In terms of Charsley I saw him at Radcliffe in pre-season and thought he was a bit meh but every time I've seen him play in the league he just strikes me as a very good technical footballer at this level, carries a goal threat and normally has boundless energy to lead the press. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Hope so, on both counts.

Agree that the strongest team changes from week to week dependent on form, fitness and the opposition.

If we're allowed to play Drummond there's an argument for playing him from the start although if not he's an outstanding impact sub.

I've got more time for Khan than others on the board. Thought he was neat on Saturday, always looked to pass forward and he's got a nice left peg, put some decent crosses in. But we have to find a way of getting Charsley back in the starting XI.  

Khan kept drifting wide on Saturday I think he would be more comfortable as a left winger in a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1/4-3-3 if we play the current system I'm not sure he quite fits in but he is an option.

3-5-2 appears to be the preferred system at the moment but I really wouldn't be surprised to see us try 4 at the back at some point during the season we do have the option and players to do that.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Yeah we look a better team with Charsley in it, his energy and pressing from the front and he's one of our few midfielders that I would fancy to score a few. 

Unfortunately some fans make an assessment of a player and are too stubborn to admit they were wrong.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Thought we could have switched to 4 at the back early on Saturday as their wide left player stuck to the touchline and Caprice and Ogle seemed confused.

It was more Caprice than Ogle, he just seemed to be in the middle of nowhere every time they attacked. 

• Like 3

A few days to reflect on Saturday.

Enjoyed the day as I was in the 'posh' seats with a sponsorship experience - a really friendly and relaxed atmosphere created in there by the team running it.  Good to meet Matt Smith and hear his honesty about his time here (struggled for 18 months) and wider career, and Terry Butcher was also present and happy to do photos etc.

On to the game itself....one word:  Frustrating.

As MM said, we created enough chance to have still won (a positive), but defensively we struggled to be the tight unit of late.  Potentially it seemed that MM made 3 subs and went for it to get back in the game, and they weren't really causing too many issues, but it left us exposed at the back and we didn't cope with the through balls.   I've come out of games we've drawn / won and felt less optimistic about the next game(s)...we lost, but can see us winning the next 2 or 3.

This season the POs should be straightforward, but cannot see us being good enough to get better than 3rd / 4th...we are still tweaking the squad, there are areas that could be better etc.

Finally, a comment on Norwood.  I was delighted when we signed him, and didn't mind the 'grumpy' style (each to their own), and last season he set off well in a pretty underperforming side overall.   He dipped at the end of last year, but I hoped that with a pre-season and a manager he clearly likes we'd see a great year.

Lack of pre-season and minutes on the pitch have hampered that so far this year.   Plus I don't think he has yet found a striker partner he works well with at Oldham.   Based on his reputation, his ability (that you can see at times), and the fact he is likely to be our highest paid player - he has not delivered what I hoped for.  His overall stats were good last year, but probably most would agree that they relied on penalties / dipped post Christmas.

Doesn't deserve the dogs abuse he seems to get - but I am at the stage now that if he moved on and we did something else with the wage I'd be fine with it.  But also, if he stays and plays he probably scores 15-20 goals that get us to the POs and maybe promoted..

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wonder if Drummond and Stretton will be allowed to play on Saturday by their respective clubs?

21 minutes ago, disjointed said:

It was more Caprice than Ogle, he just seemed to be in the middle of nowhere every time they attacked. 

Caprice looked completely lost, not only that he seemed to bomb down the line a few times, after which he appeared completely shattered.  Ogle was in no mans land a few times, more second half when chasing and he was given no cover, didn't know whether to stick or twist.  Back 3 / 5 had their poorest game of the season by a stretch and after reflecting and being less frustrated, we still should have won that match, which i suppose is a positive thing.

Edited by deckyd

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Khan kept drifting wide on Saturday I think he would be more comfortable as a left winger in a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1/4-3-3 if we play the current system I'm not sure he quite fits in but he is an option.

3-5-2 appears to be the preferred system at the moment but I really wouldn't be surprised to see us try 4 at the back at some point during the season we do have the option and players to do that.

Not according to BP we don't😁 But he does change his mind on stuff quite regularly....

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

I thought exactly that. Others have questioned Ogle as part of a back 3 after Saturday, but I do feel he was left very exposed by an odd display from Caprice.

Very disappointing result on Saturday.  Solihull were a bang average side - we defended (unusually this season) very poorly and were punished for it, and missing a host of chances.  Definitely three points chucked away.

• Like 1

• Bender unfeatured this topic