MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 05/10/24

Just now, Littlemoor Lad said:

Teams at the bottom don't play for a 0-0 and they most certainly didn't, infact they could have won it and embarrassed us in the process.

It was an open game right until Khan finished off whatever they had left.

We don't want too many repeats of that if were to continue this winning run.

Give over, we were on top most the match and should have been out of sight.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Crowds are all about timing, unfortunately Unsworth and then the Mellon ramblings back end of last season have turned a few off

Lumping MM in with that charlatan is a bit disingenuous. Especially calling it rambling.

He inherited a shit team from DU which he did all he could with and ultimately ran out of gas two months before the season finished. He wanted time to clear what he could out and brought much better players in over the summer. As a result, our performances, in the main, are light and day in improvement. And, by his own words, he expects us to get much better too.

A rambling? Definitely not. Frustration bubbling over at being lumbered with a vastly inadequate squad? That's more like it.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Darren Drysdale has reffed us loads of times. Some notable Latics matches of the past:

Barnsley (h) in 2004 when we scored two goals in last two mins. Neil Kilkenny and Lee Croft debuts perhaps.

Barnsley again in 2004-05. 0-4 defeat away under Moore and one of the pissboil of legend. 

Forest (a) in 06/07 won 2-0 away midweek which kick started our season and Chris Porter’s brilliant run of form.

sent Philip Morais off in a 1-1 draw at home to Walsall at the end of the season.

2-1 home win vs Oxford on a Tuesday night during the first Shezzurection. Lee Erwin brace.

Three times during the season we went down from L1, all good results strangely. 2-1 (h) v Bury, the 2-2 away at Blackburn and the final victory of the season, 2-1 home to Blackpool.

Along with Trevor Kettle he’s a terrible EFL ref 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

They’ll be 7000+ there tomorrow, they’ve given 1500 tickets away to teachers for tomorrow’s game. 
We all know whats coming with a slightly higher than normal crowd. 

have we actually given away 1500 tickets tho? just randomly given 1500 actual tickets to random teachers? 

or were 1500 tickets available for teachers to apply for?

neither of the above means the crowd will be 1500 higher than it would have been..

24 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

have we actually given away 1500 tickets tho? just randomly given 1500 actual tickets to random teachers? 

or were 1500 tickets available for teachers to apply for?

neither of the above means the crowd will be 1500 higher than it would have been..

1500 given away and all snapped up...

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Lumping MM in with that charlatan is a bit disingenuous. Especially calling it rambling.

He inherited a shit team from DU which he did all he could with and ultimately ran out of gas two months before the season finished. He wanted time to clear what he could out and brought much better players in over the summer. As a result, our performances, in the main, are light and day in improvement. And, by his own words, he expects us to get much better too.

A rambling? Definitely not. Frustration bubbling over at being lumbered with a vastly inadequate squad? That's more like it.

🤢🤢🤢

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Watch his post match interviews around the time they put the season tickets on sale, he's as responsible as anyone for the poor crowds.

I know for a fact of people who didn't renew based purely on that, it was a PR disaster.

15 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Darren Drysdale has reffed us loads of times. Some notable Latics matches of the past:

Barnsley (h) in 2004 when we scored two goals in last two mins. Neil Kilkenny and Lee Croft debuts perhaps.

Barnsley again in 2004-05. 0-4 defeat away under Moore and one of the pissboil of legend. 

Forest (a) in 06/07 won 2-0 away midweek which kick started our season and Chris Porter’s brilliant run of form.

sent Philip Morais off in a 1-1 draw at home to Walsall at the end of the season.

2-1 home win vs Oxford on a Tuesday night during the first Shezzurection. Lee Erwin brace.

Three times during the season we went down from L1, all good results strangely. 2-1 (h) v Bury, the 2-2 away at Blackburn and the final victory of the season, 2-1 home to Blackpool.

Whatever his quality as a ref (!) that’s remarkable, there can’t be many who’ve refereed at EFL/non league level for 20 years. Must have started young!

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Along with Trevor Kettle he’s a terrible EFL ref 

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Whatever his quality as a ref (!) that’s remarkable, there can’t be many who’ve refereed at EFL/non league level for 20 years. Must have started young!

Always saw his name getting mentioned by other fans along with him being terrible but I never thought he was that bad when doing our games. Certainly most of them, we did quite well in too! Lucky omen.

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watch his post match interviews around the time they put the season tickets on sale, he's as responsible as anyone for the poor crowds.

I know for a fact of people who didn't renew based purely on that, it was a PR disaster.

He just called it how it was. Spade a spade. if "a thousand" aren't coming back because of what he said, fuck 'em. But they're not, are they? It's a broad mixture of wanting to watch entertaining football (as entertaining as NL football can be), the hike in OTD pricing and a bit of boredom by playing the same leisure centres every week.

28 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

🤢🤢🤢

Stay to type, pal.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He can't be that unimpressed by what he inherited, seven of them took part in the last match...

It's more a case of the right players having been brought in to make them gel as a team. Monthe and Ogle spring to mind. It was never going to be a complete overhaul when you already had players here with the skill set required. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He just called it how it was. Spade a spade. if "a thousand" aren't coming back because of what he said, fuck 'em. But they're not, are they? It's a broad mixture of wanting to watch entertaining football (as entertaining as NL football can be), the hike in OTD pricing and a bit of boredom by playing the same leisure centres every week.

You have to admit It was an overly negative and ill timed response which I’m sure made the minds up of a few ‘sat on the fencers’.

I renewed myself but it really annoyed me at the time, especially after such a shocking end to the season.

The picture he painted for the coming season certainly wouldn’t have encouraged any 1st time buyers!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

💪🏻

should be 7000+ then really shouldnt we..

Also to put a positive spin on it as I like to do , some extra fans may come along with them and POTD.

Generally though not everyone who gets a free ticket turns up but any boost to the attendance is better than doing nothing and I hope OAFC do more of these.

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You have to admit It was an overly negative and ill timed response which I’m sure made the minds up of a few ‘sat on the fencers’.

I renewed myself but it really annoyed me at the time, especially after such a shocking end to the season.

The picture he painted for the coming season certainly wouldn’t have encouraged any 1st time buyers!!

When it came to decision time I was probably always going to renew but I agree it did make me think about it.

The clincher was that I enjoyed going to the match with friends and family and the whole ritual involved with that regardless of how the team did, but everyone has different reasons for renewing or not and I can definitely see why it put people off.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It was one of, if not the, most disgraceful and disgusting interviews ever given by an Oldham Athletic manager.

Whoa there !!! That might be a tad over the top, I would pick any post-match Unsworth interview (when he did them) over that but as sweeping statements go yours is one of, if not the, most sweeping one ever :)

Anyway let's not dwell because if you haven't noticed this year we are doing quite well and MM is now happy (I think).