Main Stand?

I touched on this in another post, but thought it worth discussing in a thread of it's own. 

We are seeing the Main Stand closed for other than league games and wonder if it's inevitable now it will soon be replaced. 

Any thoughts on this and any inklings the board are considering renovation or demolition?

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

I touched on this in another post, but thought it worth discussing in a thread of it's own. 

We are seeing the Main Stand closed for other than league games and wonder if it's inevitable now it will soon be replaced. 

Any thoughts on this and any inklings the board are considering renovation or demolition?

Can’t see it. 

It would cost perhaps £7m to replace it with little opportunity for non matchday income because of its tight footprint and residential location.

Unless it is structurally deficient and costing lots of money to maintain, I can’t see how the club could justify the spend 

4 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Can’t see it. 

It would cost perhaps £7m to replace it with little opportunity for non matchday income because of its tight footprint and residential location.

Unless it is structurally deficient and costing lots of money to maintain, I can’t see how the club could justify the spend 

Grants would be available from various sources I imagine and an smaller stand mirroring the JR stand might be feasible? 

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Think you've answered it yourself here. It's not far off being condemned. 

Just now, BP1960 said:

Grants would  he available from various sources I imagine and a smaller stand mirroring the JR stand might be feasible? 

I rather they didn’t. It’s a thing of beauty 

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s anything but!!!😂😂😂

I quite like the look of it, a proper throwback to old football grounds, don't they call it architectural beauty. Possibly the reason I like Everton's ground. 

• Like 1

Just now, disjointed said:

I quite like the look of it, a proper throwback to old football grounds, don't they call it architectural beauty. Possibly the reason I like Everton's ground. 

With all that wood it beggars belief that it actually has a safety certificate!

I wouldn’t like to be in that stand if a fire broke out, it would be absolute carnage!

41 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Is it? Why 

The way it's laid out for a start, that's before we even start to talk about the seats which were put in when the average man was 5 ft 2. It stinks of piss and the last time I went in there you could see through the floor to the bottom level it was that rotten. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The way it's laid out for a start, that's before we even start to talk about the seats which were put in when the average man was 5 ft 2. It stinks of piss and the last time I went in there you could see through the floor to the bottom level it was that rotten. 

Safe as houses. You worry too much 

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

I rather they didn’t. It’s a thing of beauty 

I notice the protruding nail on my former main stand seat is getting rustier. 

I'm thinking of entering a photo of it to the Turner prize. 😄

57 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Which will soon be gone. 

Be nice if it ever is renovated if the exterior brick work (Lancashire red brick i think it is) is kept. Would also be nice to keep it 2 tier as i feel it adds to its character. As it appears to be a long time since it ran the full length of the pitch, it might be a chance for some commercial spaces at the sides of the stands in some way.

Other option is it just a full length single tier stand similar to the away stand at Rochdale (but with changing rooms too).

As others have said though, unless it significantly worsens/condemned, i imagine the club will look to just keep as it is for the foreseeable. Maybe if/when we get back up a couple of divisions, the club is more settled and the Joe Royle stand is up and running generating revenue, it will be looked at for something to be done with it.