Oli Hammond - What's going on?

I know the opinion is divided on here on him ....

We've played 14 games this season to date and won 6 of them.

Oli Hammond has started 5 games all season. All 5 we won. 

So in the 9 games he hasn't started we've won just 1.

Is this just luck?

Couldn't even make the bench on Saturday. Micky stated in his post match interview injuries to Norwood and a couple of others but Hammond couldn't make the bench as we needed defensive cover.

He wasn’t great against Stoke’s kids.

I suspect it’s down to Mellons desire to have a taller more physical team this season (captain Conlom aside).

Hammond is very slight and should be looking to be the best athlete he can be - why any slight professional footballer doesn’t get themselves into the best physical shape they can is beyond me.

• Like 1

I think the simple explanation is that he’s just out of favour atm, nothing more to it. 
I’m in the Hammond has potential camp but he has to work on a lot of aspects to his game. The fact we’ve also slightly changed formation recently is a problem for him as there is 1 less midfielder due to 2 strikers. 
Charsley and Lundstram are both ahead of him in the slightly more advanced roles, then we have Kay, Khan and Dolan. That leaves the DM role, for which Conlon and Gardner appear ahead of him currently, and I don’t think Hammond could do that role on his own and probably needs someone next to him. 

• Like 2

Mentioned it yesterday after the match, it is indeed weird when you think we have a nothing player like Khan keeping him out who offers nothing, it's almost like Mickys being told he has to select Khan because I don't see anything he offers that Hammond doesn't, Hammond brings the energy, has the legs, starts off the press and looks after the football, he struggles in front of goal but he's scored as many as Conlon in his Latics career.

One thing I dislike about Mellons management is that he always drops the younger player and avoids the tough call, yesterday for example he could have pulled Conlon and Khan off after half an hour but persisted with them despite both of them being pish.

Hammond isn't the finished article but there's absolutely no doubt that we play better when he starts, is it just coincidence?.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He wasn’t great against Stoke’s kids.

I suspect it’s down to Mellons desire to have a taller more physical team this season (captain Conlom aside).

Hammond is very slight and should be looking to be the best athlete he can be - why any slight professional footballer doesn’t get themselves into the best physical shape they can is beyond me.

I’m not sure what you mean. We can see Hammond is as fit was anyone. He is young, it is not possible to magic up muscle if that’s what you are alluding to. Some people have to work in the gym for a very long time to get much response in size. Remember he cannot resort to the kind of supplements most of the big guys in the gym use.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I’m not sure what you mean. We can see Hammond is as fit was anyone. He is young, it is not possible to magic up muscle if that’s what you are alluding to. Some people have to work in the gym for a very long time to get much response in size. Remember he cannot resort to the kind of supplements most of the big guys in the gym use.

Pie on a muffin ??

46 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Some people have to work in the gym for a very long time to get much response in size

Debatable. 

I’ve been going to the gym twice sometimes three times a week for two years. I have gained half a golf ball on each forearm and bicep to show for it. 

I’m unrecognisable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Mentioned it yesterday after the match, it is indeed weird when you think we have a nothing player like Khan keeping him out who offers nothing, it's almost like Mickys being told he has to select Khan because I don't see anything he offers that Hammond doesn't, Hammond brings the energy, has the legs, starts off the press and looks after the football, he struggles in front of goal but he's scored as many as Conlon in his Latics career.

One thing I dislike about Mellons management is that he always drops the younger player and avoids the tough call, yesterday for example he could have pulled Conlon and Khan off after half an hour but persisted with them despite both of them being pish.

Hammond isn't the finished article but there's absolutely no doubt that we play better when he starts, is it just coincidence?.

I’m beginning to think that Mellon doesn’t have a clue to be honest.

He’s signed an absolute pile of players and although we’ve more points on the board IMO the football is still pretty poor.

I don’t think we’ve made sufficient progress considering the money that’s been thrown at it.

We’re almost a third the way through the season and I still don’t see what we’re about. 
We seem to be rudderless and devoid of ideas for the most part and attendances are already falling away.

I’m really not convinced that Micky Mellon has the ability to get this club where it wants to be!

19 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s signed an absolute pile of players and although we’ve more points on the board IMO the football is still pretty poor.

I don’t think we’ve made sufficient progress considering the money that’s been thrown at it.

We’re almost a third the way through the season and I still don’t see what we’re about. 
We seem to be rudderless and devoid of ideas for the most part and attendances are already falling away.

I’m really not convinced that Micky Mellon has the ability to get this club where it wants to be!

More progress still needed of course but we’ve got more points at this stage of a season than pretty much every season for about 20 years. I’d call that quite substantial progress. 

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

More progress still needed of course but we’ve got more points at this stage of a season than pretty much every season for about 20 years. I’d call that quite substantial progress. 

Well yes, but in that time we’ve dropped 2 more divisions.

Perhaps if we drop another division we might have enough to challenge for a title!🤔

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Well yes, but in that time we’ve dropped 2 more divisions.

Perhaps if we drop another division we might have enough to challenge for a title!🤔

Eh? Our playing squad reflects the division we're playing in. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This is ridiculous. We have lost 2 games this season, we have a distinct way of playing and a system that we have played in every game. 

Not Mellons fault that certain players are missing piss easy chances. 

We are setup to create chances, which we do, and keep the ball out the net, which we have done apart from two games. 

Huge overreaction.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

This is ridiculous. We have lost 2 games this season, we have a distinct way of playing and a system that we have played in every game. 

Not Mellons fault that certain players are missing piss easy chances. 

We are setup to create chances, which we do, and keep the ball out the net, which we have done apart from two games. 

Huge overreaction.

100%. And in the 2 games we've lost, you could make a very good case for us having created enough clear chances to be well clear before conceding the goals.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We've just won 4 in a row ffs 🤦‍♂️

Teams sometimes lose football games

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

Skinny people can run, doesn’t mean they can win 50/50’s or 40/60’s or be brave. 
The guy should have quads like boulders and shoulders like a coat hanger. 
if I was an opposition player I’d see him and know I wouldn’t have to worry about him 

1 minute ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Skinny people can run, doesn’t mean they can win 50/50’s or 40/60’s or be brave. 
The guy should have quads like boulders and shoulders like a coat hanger. 
if I was an opposition player I’d see him and know I wouldn’t have to worry about him 

I don’t think you got my point. He is a super fit athletes which is what you wanted.  You can’t just magic up quads like boulders and shoulders and arms. Some people have that naturally. You seemed to imply criticism because all professionals should just be the specimen with muscles.

Give him 3 or 4 years. For now someone needs to explain it’s about timing and observation. If you know when the impact is coming, you can lean into it at the moment of impact. 

Mind you refs seem to have accepted that defenders can pull you back as long as they don’t pull to long. One of my pet hates in the modern game.

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

We've just won 4 in a row ffs 🤦‍♂️

Teams sometimes lose football games

Ofcourse they do but a few valid points there and we're here now trying to fathom out why, after the 4 previous wins, we completely fell apart like we did yesterday?

We need to respond well at Sutton.

16 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Ofcourse they do but a few valid points there and we're here now trying to fathom out why, after the 4 previous wins, we completely fell apart like we did yesterday?

We need to respond well at Sutton.

Because they're a 5th division team that will sometimes have off days, like every other team in the division. 

Saying Mellon "doesn't have a clue" when they've just been 8 unbeaten is ridiculous 

• Like 3