Oldham Athletic facts & figures

Hi everyone, I've asked this question previously on Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms to little success - so here goes.

I have been a long term statistician on a website called ENFA (English National Football Archive) for all things Latics related.  Was wondering if anyone had any information on games prior to 1990, particularly missed or awarded penalties, yellow and red cards, substitutions, controversial moments or any unusual facts that occurred during games.  I have the records from 1990 to relegation from the Football League in 2022, but it is a little sketchy prior to this, particularly 1970s and earlier.

Edited by DWShamen
Added parts

2 hours ago, DWShamen said:

Hi everyone, I've asked this question previously on Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms to little success - so here goes.

I have been a long term statistician on a website called ENFA (English National Football Archive) for all things Latics related.  Was wondering if anyone had any information on games prior to 1990, particularly missed or awarded penalties, yellow and red cards, substitutions, controversial moments or any unusual facts that occurred during games.  I have the records from 1990 to relegation from the Football League in 2022, but it is a little sketchy prior to this, particularly 1970s and earlier.

If you're a statistician, you'd have a wide collection of match programmes, surely? Most of that sort of info would be contained within them from those eras I reckon. Keep your eyes peeled as there's occasional posts with a bundle trying to get shut of them.

I have a large number of programs, yes.  However, they don't tell you everything - particularly not many of the things I have mentioned above.  For instance, I keep hearing that Bobby Johnstone missed one penalty in his time at Latics.  He himself said he thought it was against Exeter, as do many other people - yet the match report for that game does not mention it.  I've looked into it and found out he had one saved against Lincoln at Boundary Park.

34 minutes ago, DWShamen said:

I have a large number of programs, yes.  However, they don't tell you everything - particularly not many of the things I have mentioned above.  For instance, I keep hearing that Bobby Johnstone missed one penalty in his time at Latics.  He himself said he thought it was against Exeter, as do many other people - yet the match report for that game does not mention it.  I've looked into it and found out he had one saved against Lincoln at Boundary Park.

I can't remember Maurice Whittle (left back in 70s) ever missing a penalty. Then again, I can't remember my own name sometimes, so please don't take it as gospel 😋

3 hours ago, spanishfly said:

I can't remember Maurice Whittle (left back in 70s) ever missing a penalty. Then again, I can't remember my own name sometimes, so please don't take it as gospel 😋

You’re right about that oh wise one 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spanishfly said:

I don't think Lee Richardson ever missed one?

21 hours ago, spanishfly said:

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I don't think Lee Richardson ever missed one?

Andy Liddell had a pretty impeccable record of tucking them away. I'm fairly sure Norwood has a similar record over his career.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I seem to remember being shocked as he missed one at the Chaddy End ?  😱

You may be right Bob. The poster you replied to was, though , referring to me supposedly being the re-incarnation of someone else previously on here. It's nonsense but if it amuses them, I see no harm 😊 

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2024 at 6:33 PM, spanishfly said:

Pretty sure he had one saved at Chesterfield in the FA Cup, but that's the only one he failed to score.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DWShamen said:

Pretty sure he had one saved at Chesterfield in the FA Cup, but that's the only one he failed to score.

That may be the one I'm thinking of if it snowed heavily on the return journey.

We were having a pint or two in a pub in Chaperl-en-le-Frith and were shocked when we emerged.

• Like 1

On a change of subject. August 28th 1965. Latics defender Alan Lawson came on as a substitute against Peterborough and became the first ever sub to score a goal. The one sub rule had just come in at the start of that 65/66 season a week earlier. At that time a sub could only come on for a player being injured. Latics lost the game at home 2-4.

On 10/9/2024 at 3:53 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Andy Liddell had a pretty impeccable record of tucking them away. I'm fairly sure Norwood has a similar record over his career.

Best one was Whittles  pen v United.

• Like 1

That game v Man U on Boxing day 1975 Latics won 2-0. But as we all know Ronnie Blair's diving header in the 1st half hit the stanchion inside the net and rebounded into Utd's keeper's hands (Alex Stepney). I met Stepney in the late 1980s and I asked him about that "goal" and he told me that as he had the ball in his hands and the Ref hadn't blown for a goal he quickly booted it down the pitch before he had the chance to change his mind.

33 minutes ago, Bobby and Bert said:

That game v Man U on Boxing day 1975 Latics won 2-0. But as we all know Ronnie Blair's diving header in the 1st half hit the stanchion inside the net and rebounded into Utd's keeper's hands (Alex Stepney). I met Stepney in the late 1980s and I asked him about that "goal" and he told me that as he had the ball in his hands and the Ref hadn't blown for a goal he quickly booted it down the pitch before he had the chance to change his mind.

Stepney was quoted after the game as saying he was unsure whether the ball was over the line or not but the picture in the "Chron" showed the ball in the top corner as he stared directly at it !!  😀

1 hour ago, Bobby and Bert said:

Alan Boswell, Shrewsbury Town, was I believe the only keeper to save a Bobby Johnstone penalty. He dived early to his right (illegally then, as the keeper had to keep his feet planted until the taker had made contact with the ball).

1 hour ago, Bobby and Bert said:

On a change of subject. August 28th 1965. Latics defender Alan Lawson came on as a substitute against Peterborough and became the first ever sub to score a goal. The one sub rule had just come in at the start of that 65/66 season a week earlier. At that time a sub could only come on for a player being injured. Latics lost the game at home 2-4.

Those are some pretty Impressive facts you should go on the podcast and have a crack at Laticsmind.

2 hours ago, Bobby and Bert said:

It was actually on 28 December 1974, and Whittle's penalty was the only goal of the game, we won 1-0. My one and only game in the Ford Stand, over 26,000 in the ground for that one.

Hi Worcester. You are correct it was Dec28th 74. We were promoted end of 73/74 season and I remember being at York when we drew 1-1 with a Whittle free kick. We got back to the car and found that Man u had lost 0-1 to City(game abandoned late on)the result stood and Utd were relegated.

As you live in Worcester are you going to Forest Green away.  I have lived in North Herefordshire since 2017 and so I will give that game a try. I have 72 grounds on my visit list so I can add another.

With regard to the "goal" that never was v Utd. Would anyone on here remember a similar incident in a game v Rochdale at Spotland on December 12th 1959.

I was stood in the Sandy Lane end of the ground directly behind the goals as were a lot of our support. It was before crowds were segregated. It was 2nd half  and we were losing 1-0. We got a penalty and Peter Phoenix took it. He hit a hard shot(similar to a Whittle type pen) which went in the net and hit the stanchion. The ball flew out of the penalty area and the Ref thought it hit the post. Rochdale broke away and almost scored as only a couple Latics players ran back to cover. The rest of them had surrounded the Ref. We still lost the game 2-0.

It shows that Refs were poor then as now.

20 hours ago, Bobby and Bert said:

Hi Worcester. You are correct it was Dec28th 74. We were promoted end of 73/74 season and I remember being at York when we drew 1-1 with a Whittle free kick. We got back to the car and found that Man u had lost 0-1 to City(game abandoned late on)the result stood and Utd were relegated.

As you live in Worcester are you going to Forest Green away.  I have lived in North Herefordshire since 2017 and so I will give that game a try. I have 72 grounds on my visit list so I can add another.

It's our last but one game of the season so could be fairly crucial. If we're aiming for a play-off or top 🙏 spot, I'll have to be there I think.

There are some highly critical posts about FGR's ground on another thread somewhere, just to warn you as you haven't been lol. I went on the opening day of the 2019/20 season and can't say I have fond memories. We lost 1-0, were rubbish, Urko Vera redefined the word immobile, FGR played in a migraine-inducing bright green and black kit, and away fans were on a miserable open terrace that ran along one side of the pitch....and it started raining during the match 😆

On the plus side, it was a scenic drive through Cotswolds countryside above Nailsworth (didn't feel like you were on your way to a match!) and while I am a committed carnivore, have to admit the FGR vegan samosas and beer were pretty good.

• Like 1