MATCH: Sutton United (A) 19/10/24

1 hour ago, another fan said:

Vaguely recollect that happening many years ago (1960s) when Latics were awarded a corner in the dying seconds of the first half.  Needles to say the ball ended in the back of the net at the Chaddy end but the ref blew as the hall was crossed

An even earlier instance of this sort of thing:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/01/billy-liddell-at-100-the-story-of-the-controversial-goal-that-never-was/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Rochdale's defeat sees us stay in 5th 4 points of the top with a 5 point cushion to 8th we are keeping up with the runners and riders we are racking up the wins both home and away and we've scored 9 goals in our last 3 so we are becoming more clinical infront of goal.

The Promotionchasingerectioncreatingmellonballthunderbastardblues are building some real momentum.

Top 6 is strong this year. We are 5th on 1.86 points per game. Over 46 games that would have got 2nd last season and, I suspect, most other seasons 

It's becoming clear that the Solihull game was the exception, and that this is now a team accustomed to winning and finding a way to grind out wins. Losing a goal straight after HT, then taking the lead a matter of minutes later was so encouraging, and they always looked the more likely team to score again after that. Buoyant after that tbh, bring on Tuesday 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

after listening to MM post match interview sounds like we are staying down south for Tuesdays game and training at Bispham Abbey sensible move to keep the travel stress down and get the players rested properly 

Back home tonight, rest tomorrow, travel and train Monday at BA, I  thought he meant.

Just now, Boyyou said:

Back home tonight, rest tomorrow, travel and train Monday at BA, I  thought he meant.

Yeah thats how I understood it. Not cheap paying for hotels for 3 more nights, and players have families to get back to, so i’d be surprised if we did stay down South. 

11 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

No he hasn’t, not at all. He was made to play as a wingback in a team that didn’t play any football. 

And, in fairness to him, he looks good on the ball driving into midfield now, clearly skills he picked up playing RWB. Do not understand the willingness to write him off by Latics fans at all. It wasn't his fault he had to play out of position under previous regimes

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

And, in fairness to him, he looks good on the ball driving into midfield now, clearly skills he picked up playing RWB. Do not understand the willingness to write him off by Latics fans at all. It wasn't his fault he had to play out of position under previous regimes

Well he has a big year ahead of him because he is 22 in a week. If he hasn’t made an impact by 23 then it’s unlikely he will. Hope he can deliver 

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Well he has a big year ahead of him because he is 22 in a week. If he hasn’t made an impact by 23 then it’s unlikely he will. Hope he can deliver 

Do you really though? Feels like you've written him off already. You were also convinced we'd lose today, so with all due respect I'm inclined to ignore your opinions 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Top 6 is strong this year. We are 5th on 1.86 points per game. Over 46 games that would have got 2nd last season and, I suspect, most other seasons 

The point totals of the top 7 are much as they usually are at this point.

Not everyone at the top will keep up their pace, and others in the chasing pack will have runs here or there, that's how it normally goes. 

I think with our squad depth, we'll have more staying power than most and be right up there at the end of the season, fingers crossed.

26 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Do you really though? Feels like you've written him off already. You were also convinced we'd lose today, so with all due respect I'm inclined to ignore your opinions 

Pls do.

My most humble apologies for getting today’s result wrong. It does indeed provide conclusive proof that my views are worthless doesn’t it. 

I bow to your superior ability to accurately predict the outcome of football games which I am sure you have put to good use to earn your millions.

What’s that? Ah ok. 

I thought Sutton loooked the weak link today tbh. I admire his perseverance and I’ll admit he’s better than I first thought, and credit to him for giving his bollocks time and time again filling in at right back for so long, but I just don’t think he good enough.

A squad player - no complaints. But I don’t believe he should start for us and I don’t believe he would make a career in the EFL. Stranger things have happened of course.

Raglan is just superb though. An absolutely rock, and whilst Monthe has also been excellent, I think we give Monthe most of the praise and fail to recognise Raglans impact sometimes.

The midfield was as good as I’ve seen all season. The new lad slotted in like he’s been here for years. Conlon’s best performance since Barnet last season IMO, and I’m so happy to see the Lundstram we’ve all wanted to see for a long time. His energy is fantastic. Be interesting when Charsley is back.

Fondop again a nuisance and everything goals wise is going for him at the moment.

Norwood looked the brightest I’ve seen him when he came on. 

Facts are, they scored from a set piece. Other than that, we looked solid at the back yet again.

And, we scored 3 but with the chances Norwood, Fondop, Lundstram, Stretton and Drummond had, we could and should have had at least 6.

Are some people going to start admitting Mellon was right when he said he knows what good looks like?

We are going places. I see many on here worried about Barnet et al - let’s see how they do with the injuries we have. Our depth will see us through IMO. 

Im absolutely gutted I can’t go to Tranmere as it’s very much winnable.

Edited by sjk2008
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Pls do.

My most humble apologies for getting today’s result wrong. It does indeed provide conclusive proof that my views are worthless doesn’t it. 

I bow to your superior ability to accurately predict the outcome of football games which I am sure you have put to good use to earn your millions.

What’s that? Ah ok. 

Yeah, took a lot of superior football knowledge to predict that a team that had lost two games all season might not lose to a team 4 points and 4 places behind them. I must be psychic!

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

32 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Pls do.

What’s that? Ah ok. 

You’ve definitely got a tiny cock. Never seen such an obvious case of micropenism in my life. 

• Like 3

People criticising Sutton at the first opportunity,  I thought Ogle, Raglan and Monthe (responsible for their goal) all had the odd moment of indecision yet the 22 year old kid gets over analysed and criticised again.

Our fans really do have a problem with allowing young players to develop, mature and learn their trade. 

Sutton is like the apprentice at work playing alongside experienced technicians, he's not going to look as accomplished as them yet he's at the start of his journey.

FFS let him grow and support him, I'll guarantee he's doing his absolute best every day and loves the club, he wasn't responsible for us conceding today so for me he did his job against a physical team, was he man of the match again - no, but he wasn't even our worst defender today never mind weakest player.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

People criticising Sutton at the first opportunity,  I thought Ogle, Raglan and Monthe (responsible for their goal) all had the odd moment of indecision yet the 22 year old kid gets over analysed and criticised again.

Our fans really do have a problem with allowing young players to develop, mature and learn their trade. 

Sutton is like the apprentice at work playing alongside experienced technicians, he's not going to look as accomplished as them yet he's at the start of his journey.

FFS let him grow and support him, I'll guarantee he's doing his absolute best every day and loves the club, he wasn't responsible for us conceding today so for me he did his job against a physical team, was he man of the match again - no, but he wasn't even our worst defender today never mind weakest player.

"bloody hell  Eardley  "