MATCH: Sutton United (A) 19/10/24

What is very promising is when we’re on top in games we look dominant, exciting and we create really good chances. When the opposition is on top they may have decent possession and look sort of dangerous 40 yards from goal but they don’t create much clear cut. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

People criticising Sutton at the first opportunity,  I thought Ogle, Raglan and Monthe (responsible for their goal) all had the odd moment of indecision yet the 22 year old kid gets over analysed and criticised again.

Our fans really do have a problem with allowing young players to develop, mature and learn their trade. 

Sutton is like the apprentice at work playing alongside experienced technicians, he's not going to look as accomplished as them yet he's at the start of his journey.

FFS let him grow and support him, I'll guarantee he's doing his absolute best every day and loves the club, he wasn't responsible for us conceding today so for me he did his job against a physical team, was he man of the match again - no, but he wasn't even our worst defender today never mind weakest player.

Absolutely spot on.

Some people's obsession with finding a weak link or to nit pick a particular moment we didn't do well is so sad to see, especially when it's a young player that has always shown the exact attitude and drive we crave.

There is nothing in the rules that says you have to dominate completely for 90mins, all you have to do is score more than them and we are starting to do that more and more frequently.

Just ride the wave :)

• Like 5

Really good performance yesterday and I'd echo many of the observations that have already been made around Lundstram (another Rolls Royce performance), Payne (assured debut, great engine) and Norwood (great option to bring him on at the hour mark, he was on it yesterday). 

But a special mention for our captain, Tom Conlon. He's got a few pelters this season, and I must admit I was starting to wonder myself. But something I have noticed is the number of second balls he picks up, you might say he should do playing centre mid, but he picks up more than his fair share, that points to football intelligence, anticipation.

And just something that I saw and absolutely loved at the game yesterday. After Lundstram got cleared out by the touchline, Conlon stood by him looking as grumpy as **** and walking and pushing away Sutton players that tried to get in Lundstram's space. You might see it as unnecessary but for me that's part of being a captain, making sure your team mates are alright and protecting them.

We can't see into the dressing room but what we see on the pitch tells me that Conlon brings leadership qualities to the team and they are, in some ways, as important as the pace, skill, strength, power and bravery we see from other players. For me, clearly an important part of the successful team being forged by Mellon.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

But a special mention for our captain, Tom Conlon. He's got a few pelters this season, and I must admit I was starting to wonder myself. But something I have noticed is the number of second balls he picks up, you might say he should do playing centre mid, but he picks up more than his fair share, that points to football intelligence, anticipation.

Thought he was MOTM myself. Completely agree, he was excellent. 

Too often he plays backwards and depends on his left foot too much to the point it's predictable. But his reading of the game was superb and was much more positive yesterday.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Norwood was excellent when he came on. Hopefully being sat on the bench is making him pick up his game. He certainly looked like he put more effort in. 

Got to agree first time he linked up with Fondop well. Think it helped with a playing in behind coming forward 

41 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think Conlon benefitted from having Payne alongside him. It seemed to free him up a bit. 

Just watched the highlights and Conlon was involved in almost everything, really progressive with his passing, always looking to get the ball forward. Much more like the player we all expected. 

Really liked the look of Payne too. He played a lovely ball out to Kitching for the first goal.

For some reason they didn't show the Drummond chance from the 1st half which was a lovely move. He probably should have scored but he looks very lively, did really well to win the foul for the Raglan goal.

I think the highlights erm, highlight how dominant Oldham were yesterday. Created 6 or 7 really good chances, Sutton didn't really do anything except the goal.

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Really good performance yesterday and I'd echo many of the observations that have already been made around Lundstram (another Rolls Royce performance), Payne (assured debut, great engine) and Norwood (great option to bring him on at the hour mark, he was on it yesterday). 

And just something that I saw and absolutely loved at the game yesterday. After Lundstram got cleared out by the touchline, Conlon stood by him looking as grumpy as **** and walking and pushing away Sutton players that tried to get in Lundstram's space. You might see it as unnecessary but for me that's part of being a captain, making sure your team mates are alright and protecting them.

We can't see into the dressing room but what we see on the pitch tells me that Conlon brings leadership qualities to the team and they are, in some ways, as important as the pace, skill, strength, power and bravery we see from other players. For me, clearly an important part of the successful team being forged by Mellon.

This for me too. I gave Conlon MotM  - best I’ve seen him play 👍

19 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

I think Norwood would be very encouraged by the manner of his goal yesterday. He got the ball out wide, got himself in the optimum position and the ball was delivered to him perfectly. Much of his frustration has come from our players not reading him.

In Norwood's short cameo he made two fantastic runs his team mates missed. It's the type of pass he himself made to Fondop. I thought Norwood did very well when he came on.

I've gone for Lundstrum as my MOM however, it wasn't as cut and dried as some games you'll see to choose. Conlon was excellent in both his contribution and leadership on the field. Payne had a good solid debut and given his age has great promise but, not quite enough for MOM. Fondop is brimming with confidence and did well and aided by the keeper kept his goal scoring going.

Just regarding Fondop, all this told you so shite on here is OTT. Lets be clear he's at a level his career clearly shows he is, his early season goal scoring form is one of his best and long may it continue. he's a likeable character and wears the blue of Oldham.

Back to the match, whilst we aren't a purring footballing side for 40 minutes let alone 90 we are creating chances and if we convert just 20% more of those missed we'll nick the closer games more than not. A few upcoming games will be fantastic to win.

• Like 2

One other observation:

Sutton Utd were a big physical side - fairly one dimensional on their approach - looking to get the ball forward quickly when on the ball and dropping deep when defending.

i would imagine that a few of our lads will have picked up one or two bruises but we stood up to the challenge very well.

Whisper it… we are starting to look like a team…

• Like 2

19 hours ago, disjointed said:

Minutes spent on the pitch this season, does Norwood have a better goals per minute ratio than Fondop? 

Asking for a friend. 

I think if it’s league only then Norwood is slightly ahead. Including fa cup then Mikey goes ahead. 

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Just watched the highlights and Conlon was involved in almost everything, really progressive with his passing, always looking to get the ball forward. Much more like the player we all expected. 

Really liked the look of Payne too. He played a lovely ball out to Kitching for the first goal.

For some reason they didn't show the Drummond chance from the 1st half which was a lovely move. He probably should have scored but he looks very lively, did really well to win the foul for the Raglan goal.

I think the highlights erm, highlight how dominant Oldham were yesterday. Created 6 or 7 really good chances, Sutton didn't really do anything except the goal.

It shows the Drummond chance on the Sutton pitch side view highlights on YouTube.

2 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

I think Norwood would be very encouraged by the manner of his goal yesterday. He got the ball out wide, got himself in the optimum position and the ball was delivered to him perfectly. Much of his frustration has come from our players not reading him.

Perhaps he should wear a white headband so our players can pick him out easily? 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Agree with this 100%. Seems as though it's faded out of the game over the last 20 years. Watched the OAFC phone in with Liddell on Wednesday and he said that team of 06/07 had players who could handle themselves and look after each other (and the younger ones) , himself, Wellens, Gregan etc

I've seen it a bit with Conlon, even in the Braintree games. He'll give sly digs and look after his teammates when they've had a rough tackle etc and completely noticed that yesterday when he was stood over Lundstram when he was injured. Their lad came over, trying to tower over Lundstram and Conlon shoved two of them away. 

He's won POTY in the league above, he's not even 30 yet, there's a player in there and a reason Micky chose him to lead us. Do feel as though he gets a few undeserved pelters and hopefully the fan base can start to encourage/get behind him more moving forward, given he is our leader and I feel as though leads well on the pitch ..

1 hour ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Agree with this 100%. Seems as though it's faded out of the game over the last 20 years. Watched the OAFC phone in with Liddell on Wednesday and he said that team of 06/07 had players who could handle themselves and look after each other (and the younger ones) , himself, Wellens, Gregan etc

I've seen it a bit with Conlon, even in the Braintree games. He'll give sly digs and look after his teammates when they've had a rough tackle etc and completely noticed that yesterday when he was stood over Lundstram when he was injured. Their lad came over, trying to tower over Lundstram and Conlon shoved two of them away. 

He's won POTY in the league above, he's not even 30 yet, there's a player in there and a reason Micky chose him to lead us. Do feel as though he gets a few undeserved pelters and hopefully the fan base can start to encourage/get behind him more moving forward, given he is our leader and I feel as though leads well on the pitch ..

Pelters from where?, your making things up now.

22 hours ago, disjointed said:

Minutes spent on the pitch this season, does Norwood have a better goals per minute ratio than Fondop? 

Asking for a friend. 

How about goals AND assists??

In all seriousness, I'm prepared to put the Fondop v Norwood debate to bed for the moment.  Fondop starts for me, but Norwood has upped his game and we seem to be using him from the bench well.  Both on form, they're crucial to the squad - it's irrelevant who does what as long as they're both pulling their weight and contributing.  The team's doing well so no need to change anything as it stands.

• Like 1