MATCH: Sutton United (A) 19/10/24

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I would like to see Fondop AND  Norwood start on Tuesday 👍

Yes. Fondop has absolutely cemented his place in a front 2. Norwood looked sharp yesterday, I think it’s time to give him a run of starts alongside.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Nah not having it he's had pelters from anywhere despite the fact we've not seen the best of him yet.

image.png.71babe817992a24b706beb0a81674193.png

Wish I was making it up as you claim I am  .... 'weak as piss' 'carried most games' 'win fuck all' 'embarrassing at times' 

That's just from one quick search. There's hundreds more comments with similar themes, on here, and on twitter. Not just mention the groans and lack of support at games.

• Like 5

l'm going to possibly shock a few on here and say l would also keep Norwood on the bench for now. l agree with the reasons offered that Drummond is 'something different' with his pace and direct running. whilst Fondop is doing what l always said he could do, infact he is probably exceeding even my expectations so far this season. so dropping him would be crazy.

😍

• Like 2

Personally Drummond and Norwood, Drummonds pace and he can pick a pass Norwood runs of the ball to get in pockets of space which he did multiple times yesterday, that deft header was sublime, and his goal.

I think we are all agreed Fondop has overperformed up to now, which will unlikely to be sustained, a firing Norwood gives us the best chance of promotion through the play offs or better.

• Like 1

Norwood/Drummond would be an interesting partnership, not suggesting Mellon will go with it but Fondop may be in need of a rest.

Same with Ogle who looked leggy at times on Saturday. 

We have players who can be rotated in and out now and while it's a tough game Tuesday Mellon may look to make use of the squad.

Edited by yarddog73

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood/Drummond would be an interesting partnership, not suggesting Mellon will go with it but Fondop may be in need of a rest.

We have players who can be rotated in and out now and while it's a tough game Tuesday Mellon may look to make use of the squad.

I could see MM giving the Norwood/ Drummond partnership a go on Tuesday tbh and I would not for a second suggest that was a case of dropping Fondop, more a case of him playing almost every game and like most he will need a rest at some point. All the credit has to go to Fondop for putting himself in this position, but it is important we keep him fit and in this form, and so he will not and should not start every minute of every game, especially Sat/Tues quicker turnarounds. 

Edited by daniel

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

You've mentioned Ogle looked leggy a few times at Sutton on various posts. Personally I can't agree I saw this  he's a constant up and down the pitch player.  As such at times he'll seem or be out of position. He's a solid 8 out 10 player on shear effort alone.

It's quite possible we could start Norwood Tuesday and Start Mike on Saturday for the sake of keeping both fresh. While I was of the belief at the start of the season that given a straight choice it should be Norwood to start and Fondop from the bench.

However Im more committed to the evidence than a preconceived idea and only stupid people don't change their mind. So given a straight choice between the 2, Fondop has to start at the moment, and is one of the first names on the team sheet while Norwood may still have to wait.

It's quite possible you could play all 3 with Norwood and Drummond playing like 2 number 10s just off Fondop. 

Ooooh isn't it nice to have good options rather than deciding on the least rubbish 11.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Lags said:

You've mentioned Ogle looked leggy a few times at Sutton on various posts. Personally I can't agree I saw this  he's a constant up and down the pitch player.  As such at times he'll seem or be out of position. He's a solid 8 out 10 player on shear effort alone.

I totally agree but I felt he didn't have his usual zip, he covers an hell of a lot of ground just taking the throw ins and I think at some stage he'll need a breather.

Along with Monthe my player of the season so far, it wasn't aimed as a criticism by the way I just saw it in his game on Saturday and others will disagree.

I can’t see Mellon ever starting all 3 together. It only leaves Stretton off the bench but mainly because Mellon won’t ever want to not have 3 central midfielders. 
A 4-3-3 with Kitching and Ogle/Caprice as full backs is the only way I can see.

On paper, replacing Sutton with Norwood is a no-brainer but in practice it’s not that simple.

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I can’t see Mellon ever starting all 3 together. It only leaves Stretton off the bench but mainly because Mellon won’t ever want to not have 3 central midfielders. 
A 4-3-3 with Kitching and Ogle/Caprice as full backs is the only way I can see.

On paper, replacing Sutton with Norwood is a no-brainer but in practice it’s not that simple.

Why would we change the system now??

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Why would we change the system now??

I’m not saying to but merely raising the possible ways that you would get Fondop, Drummond and Norwood into the same starting XI.

What we’re doing currently is working that’s why we’re playing Will Sutton (who I rate) instead of James Norwood - a decision that would seem madness to fans of any other team