MATCH: Maidenhead United (A) 22/10/24

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I thought the strangest move was subbing Drummond off, he was the only one causing them a problem before he went off, that's as bad as I've seen from Fondop this season, if Stretton didn't get on after that he may as well go back to County. Maidenhead centrehalf had Fondop in his pocket.

Yep he was totally neutralised and looks leggy he’s played a lot of games. It felt perfect for a game for Norwood Stretton Drummond 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They stayed down south didn't they after the game on Saturday...?

I thought they'd gone home and travelled back on Monday via Bisham Abbey which isn't far from Maidenhead.

I don't want to over egg it but two home games in four games (Maidenhead) has to be less onerous and disruptive than two away games in four days with overnight stays and approximately fifteen hours of coach travel in advance of the second game.    

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

agree, jez belongs at Mossley, has no end product. Best as cheap squad filler same as Kay although he deserves a few more games but fylde fan reports did say he was a 1 in 4 performer.

mellon starting to work out his best team for me. Kitching easy best on left, he’ll give Sutton a few games and he’ll ruin it as he’s no where near up to it and then we can get ogle in back 3 and caprice right wing back as he offers more going forward than anyone else in that role. Bin Dolan, then attack midfield between Charley and lundstrom then it’s just who partners Conlon and then the front 2 which still isn’t right. 

Will sound bonkers to some and there’s zero chance of it happening but I’d be interested to see how Payne with Lundstram and Charsley ahead of him would work. Conlons backwards passes aren’t needed and he isn’t the most mobile. Payne whilst very young has legs to get about and the 3 of them together would be the fittest most mobile central midfield we could put out.

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

We have this system, which is effective. But couldn’t we have changed it to 433 tonight with Jes and Kay on either wing? 

Feel like we should have tried something a little different. 

By tonight, I mean as we found out we was playing rubbish, not before the game. 

I think we have seen the real Jes after his 1st match for us. I'd be looking at shipping him on sharpish. 

5 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Will sound bonkers to some and there’s zero chance of it happening but I’d be interested to see how Payne with Lundstram and Charsley ahead of him would work. Conlons backwards passes aren’t needed and he isn’t the most mobile. Payne whilst very young has legs to get about and the 3 of them together would be the fittest most mobile central midfield we could put out.

In the last couple of games he's played Conlon and Payne at the base of the midfield, I don't think it would suit Charsley playing there. Conlon is very one paced and one footed too, would be interesting to know if he had more pace before the injury he suffered at Port Vale. However, he is endowed with both leadership qualities and football intelligence, reading the game for both passing and picking up second balls. I imagine he's pretty much first name on the team sheet despite the limitations. It will be interesting to see if Mellon tries to accommodate Charsley in the starting line up when (if) we have a fully fit squad.     

35 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I think we have seen the real Jes after his 1st match for us. I'd be looking at shipping him on sharpish. 

Squadrophobia right here.

After Jez's good start people were talking about getting rid of Kitching a month or so later and it flipped. It might change again in a month or 2. Our major strength at the moment is the squad options. If Jez went and something happened to Kitch then we'd be forced into playing a square peg in a round hole.

Leave it as it is.

• Like 2

The grief Conlon is getting is a bit strange. He breaks up a lot of play, is our leader and does play more forward passes than people give him credit for. Someone in the team has to be the pivot that plays the sideways passes to shift the ball. 

I thought Payne was awful yesterday, offered nothing at all. 

On Jes, he is being asked to play left wing back when he does play. It’s clear as day he is a winger. He also posses pace and skill which a lot of our player don’t. I was surprised he didn’t come on yesterday. 

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Squadrophobia right here.

After Jez's good start people were talking about getting rid of Kitching a month or so later and it flipped. It might change again in a month or 2. Our major strength at the moment is the squad options. If Jez went and something happened to Kitch then we'd be forced into playing a square peg in a round hole.

Leave it as it is.

Can't be shipping people on three months after signing them.  Let the coaches see what they can do - it's what they're paid for

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mcfluff said:

Hudson taking a lot of stick. He literally saved the shot before 2nd goal point blank. We were unlucky it hit Monthe. Nothing he could have done with a deflected first either.

That's fair, he also saved a shot from 25 yards or so, generally speaking he has been struggling to keep them out.

To put it another way, half chances, one on ones or even strong shots from range, corners or crosses I have no confidence in him at all at the minute.

Actually thought he started the season well and had a good game against, was it Wealdstone?

Edited by deckyd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I think you said "he's another midfielder who never gets forward" . I've been at both games and this is simply not correct.

You've also criticised most of the team tonight in various posts. 

Yes we were not great tonight but we came back from 2 goals down and still should easily have won the game, as we hit the post and bar and missed at least half a dozen decent chances.

We showed character and actually tried to win the game bit couldn't quite get over the line

Not sure what you want??

I've said many times, but it seems you missed my posts,we need a dynamic attacking central midfielder who runs directly at  defenders and he's a defensive midfielder. He's not a bad player just the priority should be in the area I suggested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Well MM said he was looking forward to working with him didn’t he?

His influence certainly doesn’t appear to have had the desired effect!

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Well MM said he was looking forward to working with him didn’t he?

His influence certainly doesn’t appear to have had the desired effect!

Give it time, with his pace and skill if he was consistent he wouldn’t be here. 

One thing defenders hate at this level is being ran at, something Jes does. We need to work on his end product and he’s only 23. 

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've said many times, but it seems you missed my posts,we need a dynamic attacking central midfielder who runs directly at  defenders and he's a defensive midfielder. He's not a bad player just the priority should be in the area I suggested.

You’ve criticised him personally. But it seems your criticism should be for the club for not signing the player (or type of player) you think they should. 

Editing to add that I think we do have the player you’re describing… Josh Lundstram.

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Give it time, with his pace and skill if he was consistent he wouldn’t be here. 

One thing defenders hate at this level is being ran at, something Jes does. We need to work on his end product and he’s only 23. 

We’ve seen it with some of the others who were written off as footballers last season (eg Lundstram), yet have massively improved this season. He’s a young lad with good attributes. It may take a while before he’s at a level where he can deliver consistently. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We signed one, Dolan, he hasn't looked any better than what we already had.

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You’ve criticised him personally. But it seems your criticism should be for the club for not signing the player (or type of player) you think they should. 

Editing to add that I think we do have the player you’re describing… Josh Lundstram.

No we don't, he's done well but nor a natural in that position. I'm talking of a Joe's Baxter type.

I criticised him for having no impact in a particular game and I'd do that with anyone.

If he or any player does well I'll also praise them.

Just now, BP1960 said:

No we don't, he's done well but nor a natural in that position. I'm talking of a Joe's Baxter type.

I criticised him for having no impact in a particular game and I'd do that with anyone.

To be fair you criticised him for never going forward.

I disagree that a Baxter or a Haughton type is what we need. Those types of players need zero defensive responsibility, they need freedom to go where they want and create. They’re probably best played off a main striker, not as part of a central midfield. That doesn’t fit in with the way Mellon wants his team to play. 

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Ogle was poor in back 3 against Solihull and if any opposition team has a left winger who stays wide he struggles as he did last night without any cover.

We have rarely seen him in the position he was brought in for, a conventional  fullback with a winger in front of him.

MM seems to put square pegs in round holes as we've seen in the past with Sutton and now with Khan and Kay.

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To be fair you criticised him for never going forward.

I disagree that a Baxter or a Haughton type is what we need. Those types of players need zero defensive responsibility, they need freedom to go where they want and create. They’re probably best played off a main striker, not as part of a central midfield. That doesn’t fit in with the way Mellon wants his team to play. 

That's like saying these players are no use, when in fact they are the ones who make a massive difference.

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Sadly his injuries have precluded more evidence being available but you appeared to be in a very small minority who didn't rate Charsley.  I've asked before but you always seem to take it as personal criticism - which it isn't.  My understanding of the scouting and assessment process is that players are looked at over a series of games to avoid reaching conclusions based on inadequate evidence - because we've all seen good players have shockers and players who all to briefly look like worldbeaters but who don't deliver over a longer term.  You seem to post many times that you've seen a player for a match or two and rate them or don't.  What am I missing?

I read the other day that Brentford scouted Mbeumo 28 times before taking the plunge and signing him for a club record fee - but he's now worth at least ten times what they paid.  Now, Brentford clearly take things to extremes but it clearly works as they are at the highest point in their history and can now be thought of as a properly established PL club, and without being backed by the sort of wealth usually associated with that status these days.  That's what I think of as thorough scouting, including without doubt huge amounts of data

• Like 1