MATCH: Maidenhead United (A) 22/10/24

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Ogle was poor in back 3 against Solihull and if any opposition team has a left winger who stays wide he struggles as he did last night without any cover.

We have rarely seen him in the position he was brought in for, a conventional  fullback with a winger in front of him.

MM seems to put square pegs in round holes as we've seen in the past with Sutton and now with Khan and Kay.

Were you not suggesting Ogle was an option in midfield a few weeks ago??

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Ogle was poor in back 3 against Solihull and if any opposition team has a left winger who stays wide he struggles as he did last night without any cover.

We have rarely seen him in the position he was brought in for, a conventional  fullback with a winger in front of him.

MM seems to put square pegs in round holes as we've seen in the past with Sutton and now with Khan and Kay.

Ogle is played at RCB because he offers more overlapping the wing back than Hobson. So we sacrifice a bit of defence for a better balanced attack. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How do you know he was brought in for that? The fact we don't play that system shows that's not what he was brought in for at all. He's had several good games at RWB and RCB.

I didn't see the match but I have deduced from here we lost 8-0 with Sutton personally scoring five for them and then laughing as he was substituted.

Get a grip people , this is probably the best chance for many a year of us having a good season, stop trying to de-rail it by picking out players and going over the top when they don't play well.

All the team played below par and yet we battled away and got a point. This is progress for us. A team that is hard to beat , embrace what we have because it is miles , miles , miles better than what we have had previously.

Yes we want it to be even better, strive for that by encouragement, honestly it does help.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I didn't see the match but I have deduced from here we lost 8-0 with Sutton personally scoring five for them and then laughing as he was substituted.

Get a grip people , this is probably the best chance for many a year of us having a good season, stop trying to de-rail it by picking out players and going over the top when they don't play well.

All the team played below par and yet we battled away and got a point. This is progress for us. A team that is hard to beat , embrace what we have because it is miles , miles , miles better than what we have had previously.

Yes we want it to be even better, strive for that by encouragement, honestly it does help.

Exactly.  We didn't play well but it wasn't a disaster and it hasn't sent our train hurtling off the rails into a canyon.

17 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Sutton didn’t play well. It’s not a personal attack it’s an observation from a 90min game of football, 45mins in his case. He was involved in some way or another of them scoring two goals, likewise he was involved the game before. 

If we can’t comment on a players performance after a match, what is even the point of this forum? 

Fondop, Norwood, Payne, Sutton, Conlon all had poor games for me. Drummond has to score that chance. 

Manny and Ogle were average and below standard. The others played well. 

Going back to Sutton, do I want him to develop and play well for us, yes of course I do. Do I want that at the expense of us being top 3 or battling for the top spot? Absolutely no chance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If we can’t comment on a players performance after a match, what is even the point of this forum? 

This happens after every game like this and it’s down to proportionality. Of course there is no issue with critiquing performances but it’s the lengths that people go to. Suggesting players be dropped, formation needs changing, going through the squad and declaring who isn’t or will never be “good enough”. That’s what people have issue with - the seeming belief that to get promoted you can’t have games where there’s a bit of a drop off in performance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Sutton didn’t play well. It’s not a personal attack it’s an observation from a 90min game of football, 45mins in his case. He was involved in some way or another of them scoring two goals, likewise he was involved the game before. 

Fondop, Norwood, Payne, Sutton, Conlon all had poor games for me. Drummond has to score that chance. 

Manny and Ogle were average and below standard. The others played well. 

Going back to Sutton, do I want him to develop and play well for us, yes of course I do. Do I want that at the expense of us being top 3 or battling for the top spot? Absolutely no chance. 

You can comment on players but as I said people go over the top in slagging off players.

I can't remember all your posts but you and many others always seem to dwell on the negatives . In every game there are always mistakes and there are always a player who doesn't play as well as the others.

Again you have pointed out by listing practically all the players that had poor or below standard games and then generalised that others played well. Name them, comment on them, praise them.

Surely as a team we must have done some things right to pull it back to 2-2.

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This happens after every game like this and it’s down to proportionality. Of course there is no issue with critiquing performances but it’s the lengths that people go to. Suggesting players be dropped, formation needs changing, going through the squad and declaring who isn’t or will never be “good enough”. That’s what people have issue with - the seeming belief that to get promoted you can’t have games where there’s a bit of a drop off in performance. 

I have just replied but you have summed it up better than me. :)

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I agree, I’m guilty of it myself though. It’s borne out of frustration I think. Last night was always going to be difficult and I think it’s a positive because we would have lost that last season i have no doubt. Keep up this general level of form and we are in the playoffs which is all I was realistically hoping for anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

You can comment on players but as I said people go over the top in slagging off players.

I can't remember all your posts but you and many others always seem to dwell on the negatives . In every game there are always mistakes and there are always a player who doesn't play as well as the others.

Again you have pointed out by listing practically all the players that had poor or below standard games and then generalised that others played well. Name them, comment on them, praise them.

Surely as a team we must have done some things right to pull it back to 2-2.

But I do praise the players when they play well ? Go look at my posts from last Saturday. 

I struggle to praise a 2-2 v Maidenhead. I want us to be top of the league, we have to win them games. 

We pulled it back to 2-2, but I think we should have won 3-2. If Drummond scores that chance in the 60th min we would go on to win that game. 

We gave away two crap goals, I just can’t gloss over that because Caprice came on and had a good game ? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I agree, I’m guilty of it myself though. It’s borne out of frustration I think. Last night was always going to be difficult and I think it’s a positive because we would have lost that last season i have no doubt. Keep up this general level of form and we are in the playoffs which is all I was realistically hoping for anyway. 

Yes that's fine and I have never said don't post negative stuff, I always say don't go over the top and try to see some positives to counter balance it.

Your post sums it up, you're frustrated, you add context that it was going to be difficult and finish with a positive rallying cry. Perfect  :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I want us to be top of the league, we have to win them games. 

We don’t though. Every team that wins a league drops points and chances are they’ll drop points against teams lower down. Not winning last night isn’t a massive deal as long as we keep picking up points consistently. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

But I do praise the players when they play well ? Go look at my posts from last Saturday. 

I struggle to praise a 2-2 v Maidenhead. I want us to be top of the league, we have to win them games. 

We pulled it back to 2-2, but I think we should have won 3-2. If Drummond scores that chance in the 60th min we would go on to win that game. 

We gave away two crap goals, I just can’t gloss over that because Caprice came on and had a good game ? 

I am not sure why you think this is all aimed at you because it wasn't, there are quite a few on here guilty of it.

Although everything you have said is slanted to the negative and I just see things differently.

Pulling it back to 2-2 is a great comeback but to you it should have been 3-2!! If this is the way your mind goes then that's fine but I just think if you struggle to praise then just lay off a bit on the criticism.

I don't say don't criticise just balance it out a bit.

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Squadrophobia right here.

After Jez's good start people were talking about getting rid of Kitching a month or so later and it flipped. It might change again in a month or 2. Our major strength at the moment is the squad options. If Jez went and something happened to Kitch then we'd be forced into playing a square peg in a round hole.

Leave it as it is.

Nah, Jez is poor. 

4 minutes ago, daniel said:

Anyone see how many we took? Looked a decent following, around 250 or so i’d say. 

Not sure if there was an official figure but it seemed about 300 to me.

Enjoyed the trip, despite the lack of sleep last night. As ramshackle and non-league as the ground feels, there is tons of character and the away fans bar have Cruzcampo on those magic self-pour things. What's not to like. Town centre is lovely too.

Hope many on this thread have slept on their incredibly harsh judgements. I don't think we were too bad. Created lots, didn't score enough and were undone by a couple of bad bits of misfortune in a deflection for the first and a pinball ricochet for their second. We should've won, despite not being at our best.

The only thing I'd really criticise is us opting to pump it diagonally and long into their box too often. We just played to their strengths and didn't exploit the ball on the ground which they seemed most uncomfortable with dealing with.

Has to be followed up with a victory on Saturday against poor travellers Dagenham though. I feel FGR might pull away if we drop points in next 3-4 weeks. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Don't disagree last night but I generally don't think he's making many saves. 

This is good as our defence in general concedes less chances than last season, however he could do miles better at coming for crosses more decisively and saving the odd shot from distance...

I was a big Mat Hudson fan but I think his form has dipped since Steve Collis left. As the rest of the team improves keeper starts to look like an area of the team where we could upgrade.

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I've said many times, but it seems you missed my posts,we need a dynamic attacking central midfielder who runs directly at  defenders and he's a defensive midfielder. He's not a bad player just the priority should be in the area I suggested.

Look it's plain to see that if we had that more attacking dynamic central midfielder, we would probably have more of a goal threat from midfield, which is agreed below par at the moment.

However you seem to forget 2 things.

1. Who is available to fulfill that role, is within our budget...and would come to us in late October? Be interested to hear your solution here rather than just stating what we need...anyone can do that.

2. Would this type of player, with probably few defensive duties, ( seeing as he plays further forward) weaken our defence and alter the whole team structure? 

22 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not sure if there was an official figure but it seemed about 300 to me.

Enjoyed the trip, despite the lack of sleep last night. As ramshackle and non-league as the ground feels, there is tons of character and the away fans bar have Cruzcampo on those magic self-pour things. What's not to like. Town centre is lovely too.

Hope many on this thread have slept on their incredibly harsh judgements. I don't think we were too bad. Created lots, didn't score enough and were undone by a couple of bad bits of misfortune in a deflection for the first and a pinball ricochet for their second. We should've won, despite not being at our best.

The only thing I'd really criticise is us opting to pump it diagonally and long into their box too often. We just played to their strengths and didn't exploit the ball on the ground which they seemed most uncomfortable with dealing with.

Has to be followed up with a victory on Saturday against poor travellers Dagenham though. I feel FGR might pull away if we drop points in next 3-4 weeks. 

Decent summary that👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Cruzcampo on those magic self-pour things

If a tin pot club like Maidstone can afford and have them then surely it would be a no brainer to deploy them in our fans bar?

As far as the match goes, I cannot understand why we adopted the long ball tactics especially in the 1st half because we caused them so many more problems when we got it down and played it on the deck.

It was obviously a point gained after going 2 down but we have to be better if we want to challenge for the top spot.

We need to control games better and play with more composure and authority.

A win at home has got to be the target now to keep on the tails of the leading teams.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If a tin pot club like Maidstone can afford and have them then surely it would be a no brainer to deploy them in our fans bar?

As far as the match goes, I cannot understand why we adopted the long ball tactics especially in the 1st half because we caused them so many more problems when we got it down and played it on the deck.

It was obviously a point gained after going 2 down but we have to be better if we want to challenge for the top spot.

We need to control games better and play with more composure and authority.

A win at home has got to be the target now to keep on the tails of the leading teams.

It took us over an hour to really get any control of the game and even then it didn't really click for the front five/seven, despite this the xG stats will still probably point to us dropping points in a game we really had the better chances of scoring in.

If you look at it as four points from two tricky long arse away days then that would be satisfactory it just frustrates knowing we've left another couple of points behind there we really should have in the bag, a team with its eyes on automatic promotion will be winning games like that but for whatever reason we just couldn’t impose ourselves as too many had an off day.

A win on Saturday and 7 from 9 for a weeks work wouldn't be a bad return.