MATCH: Maidenhead United (A) 22/10/24

I’ve been Suttons biggest critic on here historically but I think some of the criticism in this particular thread is a bit harsh. He wasn’t great first half tonight but you could say that for most of the 11. Ogle was mainly at fault for their 2nd. 

Having said that, long term I think we need better and clearly Mellon does as well. Sutton wasn’t even making the bench when we had Hogan (who Mellon didn’t even want) and a fit Hobson, he’s only in the mix because of injury and we’ve nobody else really. He did very well against Halifax though. 

On tonight, a frustrating one really. They where terrible yet going into the 2 long away trips I’d have taken 4 points all day. 

Drummond has to score. However I thought we looked better when he was on. His movement and pressing causes problems. Norwood was absolutely awful. He did well Saturday but needs to buck up asap. 

Felt the game passed Payne and Conlon by a bit. 

I’d stop hooking Lundstram, thought he was very good again. He seems to always have the ball and is everywhere. 

Follow it up with a win on Saturday and it’s not too bad.

Fancy us for 3rd behind FGR and York. 

4 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Kay was only in and out due to injuries , both will play their parts this season.Fact of the matter is Sutton got skinned 3 times easily and was out of sorts . The sustitution was based on not conceding again from Suttons flank , he is making other players nervous .Let him go and get game time elsewhere as someone else said. Its a wide open shit league keeping solid at the back could mean the differance between play offs and auto. 

We definately need to bring someone in if we are to continue with the same formation. Only recall Monthe making one real mistake ,although it wasnt his best game  couldnt blame him for the og. We created our own downfall nearly tonight gifted them two goals and missed chances again.

You didn't mention Ogle taken to the cleaners again by a left winger as happened against Solihull.

43 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

God help us if you think Jes and Kay on the wings is the answer.

Jes couldn’t catch at Rochdale and Kay was in and out of a poor Fylde side. 

neither is the answer

How do you know,  you've not seen them play wide here yet?

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As was Payne, another midfielder who never gets forward.

He's only played 2 games FFS, both away games in London, we got 4 points and scored 5 goals.

Give the lad a chance....

I' be been to both games. 

@ Sutton he was decent, tonight he was average but most were to be fair.

I guess you were at neither as he does plenty off the ball

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've seen precisely zero minutes of him so have no opinion but it surprises me that an experienced scout van jump to such a conclusion so quickly. Surely players have to be judged over a reasonable period

You admit you didn't see the game so how can you judge my assessment?

He's yet another defensive midfielder when we are crying out for an attacking goal scoring  midfielder. I'm not saying he's a poor player, but tonight he offered nothing.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, deckyd said:

How to sum that up?  We were very poor first half, they weren't much better yet they could have been 3 up. We go in 2-1 down after creating very little and scoring with probably our only decent shot on target.

Second half we improved and  Maidenhead were still very poor.  Miss a complete sitter, hit bar and post, eventually score and draw 2-2.

Should be happy with the result as we had so many poor performances within the team and yet I'm not happy, still feel we could and should have won it because Maidenhead offered very little and really didn't trouble, other than set plays and our own mistakes.  We must of playedin their half for the majority of that game.

It's baffling that Hudson, Monthe, Sutton and Ogle who were way of the mark tonight, the team in general looked sluggish and still we should have probably taken 3 points from being 2 down! 

Hudson has saved nothing recently and comes for nothing.  Monthe had his poorest game so far tonight, was sluggish and very poor in general.

Ogle was awful but better when moved to CB, he needs a rest. 

Sutton is Sutton

On a piositive note, thought Caprice played well second half as did Kitching, Conlon came more into the game, has a good range of passing but more often or not plays safe, passes back or side wards and is reluctant to carry it forward, our CB's carry the ball forward more than he does.

Dsappointing, move onto the next one.

Hudson has been poor since the previous goalkeeping coach left.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

He's only played 2 games FFS, both away games in London, we got 4 points and scored 5 goals.

Give the lad a chance....

I' be been to both games. 

@ Sutton he was decent, tonight he was average but most were to be fair.

I guess you were at neither as he does plenty off the ball

Didn't do anything tonight, aren't I allowed to say that.

Grabbed a point from 2-0 down, we hit the post and the crossbar too and we gifted them at least one goal. Disappointed while I was at the game but on reflection, it's not the end of the world. We looked leggy, two long trips in four days, two tough games. As has been said elsewhere, light training for the rest of the week and let's get back on it on Saturday.

No one really stood out for us tonight, and I wouldn't have said any different if we'd snatched a late winner.

Oh, and Ogle looked like he had a problem at the end. Either his hamstring or his glute, probably the latter. If he does have an issue we will need to get someone in.    

• Like 1

Just now, BP1960 said:

I think you said "he's another midfielder who never gets forward" . I've been at both games and this is simply not correct.

You've also criticised most of the team tonight in various posts. 

Yes we were not great tonight but we came back from 2 goals down and still should easily have won the game, as we hit the post and bar and missed at least half a dozen decent chances.

We showed character and actually tried to win the game bit couldn't quite get over the line

Not sure what you want??

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You admit you didn't see the game so how can you judge my assessment?

He's yet another defensive midfielder when we are crying out for an attacking goal scoring  midfielder. I'm not saying he's a poor player, but tonight he offered nothing.

I'm specifically not judging anything other than the rapidity of an assessment!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Nothing to say about Monthe  defensively,who made a lot of mistakes tonight dwelling on the ball?

No because he's been fantastic all season and people are going to have off games. It's happened in two league games out of two with Will and it happened many a time last season. Yes it wasn't his natural position but you'd still expect him to be average. 

It's not a campaign against him, I love the fact that's he's homegrown, my opinion and from reading on here quite a few others is that he just isn't good enough for a title winning side, which we should be aspiring to be.

It'll be interesting to see the side Saturday, wouldn't surprise me if Mellon drops him/speeds up bringing a replacement in.

3 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I don’t think tactically we got it right tonight. I think we went long far too early and too often. Was pretty easy for their big defenders to win the ball. 

I thought the strangest move was subbing Drummond off, he was the only one causing them a problem before he went off, that's as bad as I've seen from Fondop this season, if Stretton didn't get on after that he may as well go back to County. Maidenhead centrehalf had Fondop in his pocket.

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

How do you know,  you've not seen them play wide here yet?

Kitching and Caprice are very good at putting crosses in for this level.

Kay wouldn’t have the legs to get up and down the pitch and Jes is a liability defensively as we’ve seen already.

You hark on about the days of teams playing 2 out and out wingers but neither Jes or Kay fit the mould of the type you’re thinking of. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Grabbed a point from 2-0 down, we hit the post and the crossbar too and we gifted them at least one goal. Disappointed while I was at the game but on reflection, it's not the end of the world. We looked leggy, two long trips in four days, two tough games. As has been said elsewhere, light training for the rest of the week and let's get back on it on Saturday.

No one really stood out for us tonight, and I wouldn't have said any different if we'd snatched a late winner.

Oh, and Ogle looked like he had a problem at the end. Either his hamstring or his glute, probably the latter. If he does have an issue we will need to get someone in.    

They stayed down south didn't they after the game on Saturday...?

7 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I think you said "he's another midfielder who never gets forward" . I've been at both games and this is simply not correct.

You've also criticised most of the team tonight in various posts. 

Yes we were not great tonight but we came back from 2 goals down and still should easily have won the game, as we hit the post and bar and missed at least half a dozen decent chances.

We showed character and actually tried to win the game bit couldn't quite get over the line

Not sure what you want??

Even at 2 nowt down, the player's kept going for it and I never felt that we wouldn't get back into the game.

Haven't had that much confidence for year's 

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You said he never gets forward.

On Saturday I thought he was all-action up and back and had a really impressive debut, granted last night I thought he was mostly anonymous.

It's not really his job to get forward either, he allows Lundstram to be more advanced and I also think that Conlon will offer more going forward with Payne alongside him from what I've seen so far.

Saying someone never does something, when they did it in the first game out of the two they've played for the club, isn't really right.

8 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

God help us if you think Jes and Kay on the wings is the answer.

Jes couldn’t catch at Rochdale and Kay was in and out of a poor Fylde side. 

neither is the answer

agree, jez belongs at Mossley, has no end product. Best as cheap squad filler same as Kay although he deserves a few more games but fylde fan reports did say he was a 1 in 4 performer.

mellon starting to work out his best team for me. Kitching easy best on left, he’ll give Sutton a few games and he’ll ruin it as he’s no where near up to it and then we can get ogle in back 3 and caprice right wing back as he offers more going forward than anyone else in that role. Bin Dolan, then attack midfield between Charley and lundstrom then it’s just who partners Conlon and then the front 2 which still isn’t right. 

Edited by Careca9

9 hours ago, deckyd said:

Hudson has saved nothing recently and comes for nothing.

Hudson taking a lot of stick. He literally saved the shot before 2nd goal point blank. We were unlucky it hit Monthe. Nothing he could have done with a deflected first either.