MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 26/10/24

It’s obviously far from a must win game this, but I do think it’s an important game to go out and win for a number of reasons;
1. It takes us 9 points clear of Dagenham who are only 2-3 places below the play offs. We need to keep building that gap to those 8th and lower. 
2. We can’t afford to be losing/ drawing back to back home games too often if we have serious aspirations of winning the league.

3. A loss here makes the 4 points in those 2 far away games seem less impressive. 4/5 points from 3 games versus Sutton, Maidenhead and Dagenham is an average return, whereas 7 points would be deemed very good. 

6-pointer isn't it? Crucial we win to keep momentum up on the top 3-4. especially with how the results went last couple of games. 

Not great on the road and it's a team we've never lost to (1 win, 3 draws since we sullied ourselves). Expecting a robust, if unspectacular victory.

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

6-pointer isn't it? Crucial we win to keep momentum up on the top 3-4. especially with how the results went last couple of games. 

Not great on the road and it's a team we've never lost to (1 win, 3 draws since we sullied ourselves). Expecting a robust, if unspectacular victory.

We must have played them in the EFL a few times?

36 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Oh we have. Can't recall us ever losing to them though.

1-1 at home and 1-0 away in L1 about 15 years ago, at a guess.

Correct, Aidy White with the winner away. Dale Stephens scored in the 1-1.

• Like 1

Ooh we also played twice against Walthamstow Avenue, who were folded into Redbridge Forest FC, then into D&R.

FA Cup 1948, drew 2-2 away, won 3-1 in the replay.

Edited by oafcmetty

7 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Ooh we also played twice against Walthamstow Avenue, who were folded into Redbridge Forest FC, then into D&R.

FA Cup 1948, drew 2-2 away, won 3-1 in the replay.

They're literally our gimp, aren't they? Can't have them winning this 💀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daniel said:

We can’t afford to be losing/ drawing back to back home games too often if we have serious aspirations of winning the league.

Is winning the league the barometer this season? 

Of course we should aim for it, but to go from 10th to top 3 would be a good achievement. 

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Crucial we win to keep momentum up on the top 3-4. especially with how the results went last couple of games. 

This is much more realistic. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Is winning the league the barometer this season? 

Of course we should aim for it, but to go from 10th to top 3 would be a good achievement. 

This is much more realistic. 

No, absolutely not the barometer, but as you say we should absolutely aim for it, as we should every year, and whilst we are within reach of that top spot we shouldn’t be afraid to speak or talk about the fact that that is our aim this season. MM won’t say that in public, as people will use that against him, but i’m sure he’ll have the same target also. 
I do believe squad wise we can match or beat anyone this season, but thats not for one second suggesting it’ll be easy. 

36 minutes ago, daniel said:

No, absolutely not the barometer, but as you say we should absolutely aim for it, as we should every year, and whilst we are within reach of that top spot we shouldn’t be afraid to speak or talk about the fact that that is our aim this season. MM won’t say that in public, as people will use that against him, but i’m sure he’ll have the same target also. 
I do believe squad wise we can match or beat anyone this season, but thats not for one second suggesting it’ll be easy. 

Having watched York v Barnet on Tuesday night,  I'm afraid we are well behind both teams at this stage .Both looked very good. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyp65 said:

Having watched York v Barnet on Tuesday night,  I'm afraid we are well behind both teams at this stage .Both looked very good. 

Well we will find out in the coming months. FGR played better than us on the night and we still won. I don’t actually think we’ve hit our peak yet, and still more to come. We’ve also yet to have a fully fit squad with everyone available. 
Barnet and York may well look better than us, but we are hard to beat, and they will still find it hard to beat us. 

4 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Actually there you go - 70/71 season, scored in the first 17, then lost 2-0 at Notts Co. Only two clean sheets in that run too.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/oldham-athletic/tab/matches/season/1971/

(promoted too) :chubb:

Plus - only failed to score three times in league matches that season, all away from home.